looking for an apple recipe

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Butterfly4, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Sep 6, 2006

It seems I remember a million years ago making some snack with the kdis I taught, but I can't exactly remember. I think we used a biscuit flatted out and they used plastic knives to cut up a piece of apple to put on it. Followed by sprinkling with cinnamon and sugar.

Anyone ever done somehting like this? If so, may I please have the recipe!!

Thanks!!

3. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Sep 6, 2006

The recipe I have uses apple pie filling, but same idea:

Preheat oven to 350

Enough refrigerator biscuits for one for each child
    1 can apple pie filling
    cinnamon and sugar mixture
    wax paper
    cookie sheets

Give each child a square of wax paper and a biscuit. Have them flatten biscuit into a 3 1/2 inch circle. Drop a slice of apple from the pie filling intot he center of the biscuit circle. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the filling. Fold the biscuit over and pinch the edges. Place the turnovers on cookie sheets and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

Recipe from: Early Themes: Apples, Pumpkins and Harvest by Ann Flagg, published by Scholastic

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2006

We are making these next week:
    Apple Pizza
    *refrigerated biscuits
    *apples
    *sugar and cinnamon mixture
    *butter or margarine

Cut biscuits in half. Spread 1 tsp. of butter/margarine on each. Add thinly sliced apples, 2-3 slices for each. Spinkle on sugar and cinnamon mixture. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 7-10 minutes. Eat and enjoy!

5. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Sep 7, 2006

Thank you both!!

6. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Sep 10, 2006

I'm thinking of doing something else instead of the "apple pizza". I need somethng I can make with them one morning, and save for snack the next morning.

I was thinking of getting a couple boxes of jiffy apple muffin mix. Do you think the muffins will still turn out ok if I have the kids cut up a little bit of fresh apple to put in them?

I had them all bring in apples to paint/print with, sort, estimate and to use to make a snack. So, I would like to be able to use at least one or two in the snack.

7. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Sep 10, 2006

Also try croissant rolls, already flattened!

Also, cut up apples, put in baggie, roll with rolling pin & waa la!applesauce!

8. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Sep 11, 2006

The first recipe I posted is apple turnovers, so they'd keep. Or..

You can bake any pre-made muffin mix in a waxed paper cup in an electric frying pan. In 5 oz. paper cups, have the child put 3 T. of the muffin mix, and 1 T. of water. Mix with a popsicle stick. Put into the electric frying pan (as is, no water added to pan, the raised bottom of the cups keeps the muffin's from burning) bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until done. (From Cup Cooking)

Alternately you could make a dipping sauce for the cooking portion and cut some of the apples into wedges for dipping. :)