Looking for a little help...

Discussion in 'P.E. Teachers' started by 12Souza, Oct 26, 2009.

1. 12Souza

12Souza Rookie

Oct 26, 2009

I have an opportunity to become a PE teacher at a Private School. They have me going in to teach a class under the observation of an administrative member.

The only prior experience I have for teaching Physical Education is coaching high school football. I feel that I can become a very good PE teacher overtime and although I do not doubt myself, I am a little unsure of what I should do when the day comes to show how I would run a PE class.

The way I was thinking of it.....

Line the kids (20 students) in 4 lines of 5 and start out introducing myself followed by a warmup period with stretches follow by a quick jog around the track all while trying to get to know the kids individually. Then get into explaining the rules of the activity of the school's choice (or my choice if the school does not designate) and obviously getting into the activity until the end of the period.

So all I am asking are ideas on how I can make a good showing, because I really want this job and really want to make a positive impact on the community, Thank you.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2009

I am SO NOT the person to be answering a Phys Ed question!!! So consider this a bump!

Let's assume that the job market is tough where you are (Pretty safe bet, especially in Phys Ed.) The odds are overwhelming that they'll let you choose the subject of the lesson; you may want to check ahead of time to be sure. If so, then here's what I would be looking for in a sample lesson:

- Clear objectives. Not just an exercise session, but something concrete that the kids would learn. Take a look at your state's standards in Phys Ed (I'm assuming they exist) and start there.

- Something the kids can all be part of. Think of that obese kid in the back, or the kid with little to no physical skill. He or she is in the same class with the start soccer player. You want both kids to be engaged and involved for the whole period. That means NOT something like batting practice or bowling, where we all wait our turn to play. Something like a skill session on how to pitch underhand might be a better idea-- 10 balls and 10 pairs of kids, and everyone is involved for the whole class.

-If possible, you want the kids to have fun! So that bit about pitching underhand, you could have the kids imagine it's a water balloon toss or something, and award those who survive past a certain distance.

-At the end, I would summarize the skills. In fact, get the kids to tell you. "OK, so what do we need to know about the underhand pitch?"

4. 12Souza

12Souza Rookie

Oct 27, 2009

Actually they let me know that the kids have been doing a unit on soccer... and it makes things a whole lot easier lol... Thanks for the reply

5. Dja4260

Dja4260 Rookie

Oct 27, 2009

Whats the age level?

I just completed a rather nice unit for soccer as a student teaching assignment. It should give you some good ideas for game play.

You can have the students line up in squads, basketball ball 3 point circle, base line, number line. etc The 3 point circle is nice because when giving instruction, every one will be in plain site and making eye contact.

PM me if you would like the soccer unit

6. 12Souza

12Souza Rookie

Oct 28, 2009

Ill take whatever input I can get... the age level is considered "upper school" which can range from 6-12.

The class is apparently only 35 minuts.

SO I was going to set up something like

5m- Dress out
    5m- Warm-up
    5m- Quick Drills that involve some sort of development on passing the ball
    15m- Little Scrimmage where they can not shoot unless they have executed 5 passes in a given possession
    5m- Dress to school clothes

For the passing drills, I was going to do something like I do with my Quarterbacks when I coach football... Ill group them up in 4's. 3 kids spread about 5 yards apart with corresponding numbers with 1 kid being the passer lined up 5 yards behind a ball which is 10 yards in front of the 3 kids. The passer will approach the ball, and the kid with his number called will raise his hands with the passer having to adjust his hips to kick the ball to the correct kid raising his hands.

This, of course, assuming they already know how to pass the ball. Ill have to draw on some past experience to see how far they have gotten into soccer thus far. If they havent gotten into passing yet, I'll just go into something simpler.

7. tgim

tgim Habitué

Oct 31, 2009

Good luck - let us know how it goes!

8. Ross

Ross Comrade

Oct 31, 2009

With a 35 minute period there is not much time for instruction. You lose a minimum of 10 minutes with setup and dismissal.

The first day or two of a new activity, you will have to sacrifice playing time to explain and demonstrate the rules of the game. After that, you can increase the playing time after the warm-up.

The warm-up activities should be varied and short. Get them moving and stretching.

In those few minutes of instruction, you are not able to produce great athletes, so keep it basic and let them get their exercise for the day. For some of the kids, it will be the only athletic activity they will do for the day.

I think 5 passes before a shot is a bit high.

9. 12Souza

12Souza Rookie

Nov 2, 2009

Ya i ditched the 5 pass thing. It went ok. I guess there are two of us vying for the same spot, with the other person teaching a class today. I find out this week.