Looking for a little advice...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by springmac, Aug 11, 2010.

1. springmac

springmac Companion

Aug 11, 2010

I'm sure some of you have seen me posting. I'm going into my second full year of subbing. I did one long term job last school year, but no prospects for this year. I always get an interview with my district, which is great. I always get to the last round, also great. I just haven't had any offers. It's very political where I live & even though I had support from many of the teachers, I wasn't hired.

So, there is a child care center nearby which is advertising for a K teacher. The center has a great reputation. I know a center won't pay what I would make as a teacher, but it would be steady work. I also know that if I take a job such as this, I most likely won't get any other interviews with school districts. They usually call their regular subs. The money isn't a big issue with me. My husband has a great job & I don't really need to work, but I want to teach.

I know some of you work for child care and preschool centers. Any thoughts? I should add that I'm a 35 year old career switcher. I'm not getting any younger (sadly) and I feel that my chances go down with each year that passes. I welcome your thoughts and advice.

3. CLESprtsFan

CLESprtsFan Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

If the center has a great reputation why not at least apply? If you get an interview you can get a feel for the place and the staff and then you will be able to make an informed decision.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2010

As far as your age, don't let that affect your desire to get into a school. More and more districts these days are hiring "older" folk. The districts seem to realize what a wealth of life experiences these people bring to the job. As far as the center, if you feel you would really like teaching there, go for it.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2010

You want to teach, and they're advertising for a K teacher.

Since your husband's job covers the pay/benefits issue, I see no reason NOT to try for this job!

6. springmac

springmac Companion

Aug 11, 2010

Thanks for the advice. I just applied, so we'll see. I guess it wouldn't hurt to talk to them, if I'm called in for an interview. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

7. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Good luck! I think that sounds like a great opportunity. And if you arent stastifed there you could always keep looking. Keep us updated!

8. geogirl0626

geogirl0626 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Go for it! Sounds like a great opportunity to get in the classroom.