Looking for a job....while you already have a job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss84, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Feb 3, 2010

I'm looking to teach somewhere else for the next school year, and I am starting to job hunt now. I enjoy my work environment (co-workers), but the disorganization and the lack of simple resources is draining me to a point that some days I ask myself "why?".

How do you go about references and things of that nature at your current job? How do you explain to employers about the short term of your stay at the current school with out completely ragging about them? Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. kel9798

kel9798 Rookie

Feb 3, 2010

I am in the same boat as you. I did tell my principal because I needed to get a letter of recommendation from him. I currently teach middle school and I am looking for elementary jobs, so I just told him that middle school wasn't for me and I want to give elementary a try. Maybe you could say something similar. You could also just keep it simple. Say "this is a great school, but I just don't feel it's a good fit for me." I principal was very understanding and said he would be happy to write me the letter. I was very nervous to ask, but I'm glad I did!

Good luck to you in your job search :)

4. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Feb 3, 2010

It might ring false, but you can always tell your principal that you update your professional portfolio once a year as a matter of routine and that you would appreciate a letter that discusses your recent performance.

Many of the applications I've seen have "May we contact this employer?" checkboxes.

Avoid "ragging on" your current employer to any extent. If asked about your short tenure, make up some nonsense about your desire for new professional challenges!

This is a situation where an economic layoff can be a blessing in disguise. The rules differ from state to state, but here in California, school districts must give out tentative layoff notices in mid-March. These will either be upheld or withdrawn in mid-May. I would say that anyone who receives a tentative notice has an excellent reason to request references!

5. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Feb 5, 2010

I'm in the same situation--I just can't bear to work at my school another year. The reason I'm thinking of going with is that my current school is not in my desired geographical location. It's 45 minutes from my house and and hour and a half from the city where I spend most of my free time, and that equals a lot of driving!

~Briana~

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 6, 2010

Honesty is always the best policy. Just tell your principal that you want to be closer to home and you have sincerely enjoyed your experience in his/her school. Explain that you if you do not get a job or an interview that you will take that as a sign that you are meant to stay where you are and that would be fine for you. But, let him/her know this in advance before districts start asking you for your principal's name and you are caught doing something that seems a little underhanded.:) Be ready. Be prepared. Be positive!

7. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Feb 7, 2010

I am kinda in the same boat. I work in a great district and love my school, but I would like to move closer to home, not necessarily next year, but within the next 5 years or so. If I get an interview this summer, I just won't know what to do. My principal has no idea! It would be very awkward.

8. sequence

sequence Rookie

Feb 8, 2010

I told my principal last year and I'll tell him this year, that because we won't have contracts until the end of summer, sometimes early fall, I'll be putting "feelers" out and need to keep my options open.

If you go to job fairs though, I STRONGLY urge you to make sure you principal is not in attendance as well (happened to me last year, thus I could only apply ad jobs outside of a two row radius of him...) sigh... :D good luck!

9. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Feb 8, 2010

I wouldn't check that box. I would think that employers would be a little suspicious about that...and they won't want to hire somebody that they think they might have to worry about.

10. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Feb 8, 2010

See, this subject is a though one for me. I am a pre-k teacher, and don't trust my director. I am afraid that if I tell them I am putting out feelers and seeing if I can get into a school, I'll get fired, they will find some reason. They can be rather shady at times. Should I still tell them that I am looking? That would be the worst, to have reerences call them :(

11. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2010

I went through this last year when I was looking for a new job. If I had to stay at my job, I didn't want them to know that I was looking for other positions.

I was just honest and asked them to please not contact my employer without first contacting me. I explained that because I was currently contracted, I wanted to honor my contract and have the chance to appropriately notify my supervisor about a possible change to a new position.

It worked fine. I turned in about 10 applications. I had three calls, three interviews, and one job offer.

12. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Feb 8, 2010

I am not under contract. I can still come up with something along those lines. If nothing comes up this year, I would like to stay on at my current job. (My first post made my job look bad, I just know how they operate at times)