Looking for a Elem. Teaching Job

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by zaheeda.dinesh@, Jan 5, 2006.

1. zaheeda.dinesh@

zaheeda.dinesh@ Rookie

Jan 5, 2006

Hi, I am looking for a Elementary teaching job with no luck any suggestions?????

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 5, 2006

Hi! I don't really have any suggestions since I'm just subbing now and looking for a permanent elementary teaching position myself, but you will find many of us on here in your situation!! :) I'm sure you'll also get some advice from some experienced teachers.

Welcome to AtoZ!!

4. zaheeda.dinesh@

zaheeda.dinesh@ Rookie

Jan 5, 2006

Thanks for your reply beth i really appreciate it. i send out like 50 resume and no call back at all....

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 5, 2006

Welcome! Be sure to check out the New Teachers forum, also.

6. zaheeda.dinesh@

zaheeda.dinesh@ Rookie

Jan 5, 2006

ok thanks

7. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Jan 5, 2006

It takes a long time do not get discouraged. I am a vet. teacher and got laid off last summre and then sent out 25-30 resumes and did nto get 1 call....

8. RLBteacher

RLBteacher Rookie

Jan 5, 2006

Don't give up! I sent out about 50 resumes too, with no calls. I was still waiting for my certification, which was also a problem. I would suggest applying for a maternity leave perm sub position. That's what I did last year and I was hired the last couple of months as a Kindergarten teacher. They liked me enough and hired me to teach 2nd grade this year when a position opened. It's a great way to sneak in the door! Good luck!

9. zaheeda.dinesh@

zaheeda.dinesh@ Rookie

Jan 6, 2006

Hi thanks RLBteacher what do u do during the summer when a long term sub position comes to a end

10. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jan 6, 2006

All I can suggest is patience patience patience, although I know that isn't easy, trust me that's where I am at now.

11. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jan 6, 2006

You have also got to consider the time of the year. There is a hiring freeze until MARCH in my area. You really need to GO to the schools you REALLY are interested in. BEG to be seen, BRING WRAPPED FOOD GIFT, maybe a box of entemman donuts to the secretary for being so 'sweet'. Mailing your resume, gets the resume into the folder of resumes and that is it. BUT, going in, and being SEEN is another. MAKE AN IMPRESSION. Get your foot into one place and ASK the PRINCIPAL for any openings at the school, OR at any other local school in the area. (prinicipals do talk about these things, or maybe the principal can CALL for you to another school)

I know what a pain in the azz resume dropping can be. Getting in, and out of the car but focus on FIVE in a day, and target those five for the week. Call the secretary, or visit her at the same time every day. Your persistance will be recognized or misinterpeted as nuisance!