Looking for 7th Grade Advanced Project

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by lsho, Dec 1, 2009.

1. lsho

lsho Rookie

Dec 1, 2009

I teach 7th grade Geography. I have 2 advanced classes. I had them fill out a "How I Want To Learn" sheet and overwhelmingly the advanced class wants a big, independent project 2nd semester.

Anyone have some ideas? I've heard of some books but right now, I don't have the funding. I'm trying for next year to get a classroom set of the book "The Wave". This year though, I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions would be AWESOME!

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 1, 2009

What about a map art project? Artists throughout the ages have turned maps into paintings, sculptures, mosaics, ect. Maybe the students could pick a region and make something creative with a map of the region.

4. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Dec 2, 2009

A scavenger hunt/amazing race game with Google Earth if you have the resources available.

Some clues based on culture, some based on lat/long clues.

5. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Dec 10, 2009

how about a portfolio ? kids take the 5 themes of geography and relate each to their lives - they can take photos or whatever - then include a written rationale for why they choose the way they did to depict each theme

6. lsho

lsho Rookie

Dec 11, 2009

These are all awesome ideas! Thank you sooo much! You guys rock!:thumb:

7. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 12, 2009

I'd give them a menu of projects to do and a big timeline to do them. A variety of projects would be worth points relating to their difficulty. The kids have to choose and complete enough projects to add up to 100%.

* Interview someone who uses maps daily as part of their work. Write up your interview. 20 points.
    * Research and graph the climate of 5 world cities, and relate their temperatures to latitude. 15 points
    * Collect three news articles about a single country or region of the world. Write a paragraph summary about each news article. 10 points.
    * Most countries have borders that follow rivers or mountain ranges. Find 5 countries that have manmade, straight borders, and research how those borders were determined. 20 points.
    * Make a travel brochure for a country of your choosing. Incorporate three activities for visitors to do that relate to the country's physical features or cultural characteristics. 25 points
    * Make a poem, song, or rap with the countries of a continent, explaining just a little about each country; or make your project about the rivers and mountain ranges of a continent. 15 points
    * Create your own country, and draw its map on posterboard. What kind of physical features would you incorporate? 15 points.
    ....and whatever else you can think of....

8. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Dec 20, 2009

i just tweaked the geography project for a lowcountry history class - email me at looneyteachr@yahoo.com i'll send it to u

kids could also make globes on those huge plastic balls - or a country kiosk out of refrigerator boxes - we did that for a culture fair - i can email you the ideas