Looking for 5 to 10 minute movement activities

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kmcole4, Sep 10, 2005.

1. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Sep 10, 2005

Hi All-

Wondering if I could pick your very knowledgable brains--yet again! I am looking for some quickie 5 to 10 minute get up and move activities to do ....Going on a Bear hunt type deals only stand up things...anyone have any tried and true they'd be willing to share? I Teach Kindergarten now--Thanks so much! If you could post them or message me that would be great! Thanks!

3. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 10, 2005

This may not sound exciting, but my kids (k also) love it. We play Simon Says on occasion, when they just need a quick stretch break. The way I connect it to the lesson is to use whatever we're doing as actions. We're studying the five senses this week, so I had them point to "what helps you use your sense of hearing..." etc. Earlier in the week, we had focused on "left and right," so I had them do things with one arm or the other, etc. It's amazing to me, they ALWAYS want to play, and it's like sneaking in some reinforcement of the lesson! It also helps with wiggles! :-D

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 10, 2005

When I first started teaching I bought Greg and Steve's CD "Kids in Action" I love it! It has some good movement songs on them. I also do freeze dance, the hookey pookey and Simon Says. But I would love to get a another CD to use as well. So I could some suggestions too:)

5. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 10, 2005

Joe Scruggs has some really good ones. Late Last Night and Wiggle in My Toe. I agree Greg and Steve are awesome. Also an old favorite, Hap Palmer's Sammy. Even my second graders enjoy these. :D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2005

The kids love a game our phy-ed teacher plays with them called, Air,Water, Land. It is similiar to Simon Says. the teacher calls out one of those words and they must do the following.: Air=jump straight up and down once, water= two hops backwards, land=one hop forward. the object is to be the last one standing, you sit down if you have the wrong movement. You can speed it up or down however you would like....it is good for listening and response skills.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2005

I just tried this new one with my class:

Whenenver I need to bring them back and I have a few minutes to kill, I call out-

"yoo hoo"
    they repeat
    "yoo hoo"
    they repeat
    "Do what I do"
    they repeat
    I do something, they repeat

I do it again and then this time, I say "Do what______does" and I continue until all students have had a chance. They are engaged and it works well.

8. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 11, 2005

I really like that, lve2tch!! That is a great variation on Simon Says, and it's "different" enough to get them excited again! I think it's also easier for them to be the "Simon" when the teacher directs it as in your song. THANKS!

9. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Sep 11, 2005

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!! Thank you all so much, and keep 'em coming! I found a movement one where they take a "walk" around the rug area--or sometimes in place. They walk through bubble gum, maple syrup, chocolate, water to their knees, outer space, on clouds, etc etc. I am going to try it tommorrow.....THANKS!

10. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 11, 2005

That is the kind of the same as the Joe Scruggs song, Late Last Night
    it talks about what is happening when a child is in bed and the different shoes they put on their feet. Kids of all ages love it!