Looking at lofts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 6, 2008

Does anyone have a loft in your classroom? I get some classroom money to spend at the end of the year, and I'm considering putting some of it aside for lumber. My dad could easily build a loft for me to use in my classroom. I've seen lofts in teacher catalogs, and I visited a pre-k class before that had a loft.

If you have one, do you like it? How big? Was it built or bought and assembled? Do you have pictures or blueprints? Thanks.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 6, 2008

I had a loft. I HATED IT!! It was to heavy to move. It was in my way. And I wanted the wall space. The tried making it a reading loft and the kids all fought up there and books would come falling off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Nov 6, 2008

Make sure you clear it with your district first!!! I knew a teacher who spent so much time and effort putting one up, and had even cleared it with the P, but the district Super. found out and they filed a lawsuit against her and the whole nine yards. So just be careful :)

5. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Nov 6, 2008

I don't have one now, but I remember having one when I was in elementary. I could nap in there without the teacher knowing. I must have been in 2nd or 3rd grade at the time :) Sneaky little bugger, I was!!!

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 6, 2008

I don't like lofts for 2 reasons -- either the child is out of your direct line of vision, or the loft is not adequately safe, with rails and protection. If it has the adequate rails, there are blind spots -- and thus a student can be out of your line of vision.

I also worry about a child climbing over the top and falling off. I know they shouldn't. I know there are rules. But I also know that kids are kids -- and I'd prefer to limit how high they get, and thus lessen any problem caused by falling for excessive height.

Yep...I'm a worry wart when it comes to things like this.

Better safe than sorry.....

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 7, 2008

I agree with rainstorm. In theory, I LOVE the idea of a loft, but it's the safety reasons that would bother me about it.

8. forkids

forkids Cohort

Nov 7, 2008

The teacher next door to me had a loft and hated it - for the same reasons JaimeMarie and RainStorm said. She couldn't wait to get rid of it.

9. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

I remember in kindergarten the classroom next to me had one and I was so jealous about it. As a student I loved the idea of a 'fort' in our classroom. As a teacher now all I can think about are the problems it would ensue. All I can picture is one of my wild students running around the classroom and refusing to come down... So management wise and safety wise I just think it's not worth it.