Looking 4 end-of-year teacher gift ideas!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ellekay, May 21, 2005.

1. ellekay

ellekay New Member

May 21, 2005

I'm a parent looking for gift ideas for some very SPECIAL teachers! Looking for ideas in a variety of price ranges.
    As a teacher, what do you appreciate most... personal praise, gift certificates, a complimentary note to administration??? Help!!!! :)

3. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

May 21, 2005

Definitely gift certificates - a book store (chain or local); an educational book store or learning warehouse as there is never enough money to buy supplies for the classroom; a gift certificate for even just coffee at Starbucks or Borders. What also is a nice idea is a letter written to the building principal stating what has been positive for that year with that particular teacher and your child - that kind of thing becomes a part of our file and is usually also forwarded to the Superintendent's office. It's nice to be appreciated by the parents!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 21, 2005

Gift certificate, I agree. I usually get some to Barnes & Noble, which is great. Also, a general mall gift certificate comes in handy. One parent wrote a beautiful poem about my class this year and gave a copy to my principal. I cried.

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

May 21, 2005

Yeah, not enough of the "satisfied" parents relay those messages to administration and some times that is the least expensive, but most rewarding gift to give a teacher!

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 21, 2005

Teachers are very , very busy and find little time for cooking meals. So, one of my favorite gifts is a certificate to a restaurant. Simple notes of appreciation are another favorite and I do wish more parents would tell administration and directors all the good points about their child's teacher.

7. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

May 21, 2005

I love getting gift certificates for bookstores and teacher stores since most teachers do not have enough money to buy supplies for the upcoming year. I know that in my school our supply order has been cut in half for next year so I do not have enough money to even purchase construction paper.

Another thing I love getting are thank you notes from parents who have apprieciated the hard work for the year.

Hope this helps...

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 21, 2005

While I like gift certificates, the gifts I most appreciate are the ones with the personal touches. A letter from a parent who was happy (with a copy to the principal) is something that is extraordinary. Also, anything that shows that you've taken the time to get to know the teacher personally and can give a gift that caters to her interests is special, too (For example, I'm moving this year, and one parent made me new address labels. It wasn't expensive, but it was really appreciated! Or if the teacher has a specific hobby, or a favorite restaurant, or a special collection, a gift leaning toward that would be great.
    Kim

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 21, 2005

I love those personalized gifts. .. I like cats and have recieved some cute cat things over the years. Another thing that I love are plants. I still have one from last spring(a begonia) that a little boy gave me and it is flowering!

10. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

May 21, 2005

My favorite gifts have been hand written notes.... All the other things have been nice too (I really appreciated some gift certificates to restaurants one year!!.. and one for a manicure!)
    but those notes I treasure and read when I'm having a rough time and they'll lift me right back up!

11. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

May 21, 2005

As a parent: one year we made a photo album of the year and had each child do a scrapebook page. Another mom (who was unable to coordinate the kids) made one and each page was the letter of the alphabet and corosponding kids names, activities or curriculum & supplies. (like stickers of rulers under R, ect.) They still talk about those! As a teacher: book & food certificates as mentioned above. I must say though, some feel after awhile a little sick of all the "teacher" necklaces, pen holders, ect. But some really love them! Also, if it is a new teacher, I think it is a requirement to get a sappy necklace/mug/tote your first year! It's kind of like a rite of passage....;)

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 21, 2005

One year I got a basket filled with suntan lotion, after sun lotion and a pair of sunglasses. They knew I love going to the beach so it was a great gift.
    Gift certificates are the best but the one gift that touched me was a letter that a parent wrote to my principal about me. It had me crying and my family after they read it.

13. DRB

DRB New Member

May 23, 2005

Give those teachers the gift of laughter. One of my favorite gifts has been a CD called Teacher Therapy, Funny Songs For Teachers by Judy Domeny Bowen. I love it!

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 23, 2005

If you're not sure, I would agree with other posters and say "gift certificate". We can always use the gift of shopping. I often have a hard time shopping with these because I want to get the best I can with it. This happened to me Saturday at Barnes & Noble. I had a huge stack and had to decide on $20 worth. I got to the counter and found out that I could have gotten more because they gave me 20% off since it was for my classroom. I'll have to go back and spend the rest this summer. I love to shop at book stores or educational supply stores. I try not to go in them often, unless I have a purchase order or gift certificate. I end up spending a lot of my own money.

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 23, 2005

I must also say gift certificate. But not to anything teacher related. I do love getting things that are teacher related, but it's nice to get something that is non-work related and something that is just "me" related. Something that would get my mind OFF of work. I would love a certificate to a restaurant or a certificate to a spa for some pampering (nothing big, just enough for like a massage or manicure).

This year I recieved an awesome present from all my childcare parents. It was a star shaped pewter box that came from Things Engraved. Inside it had a pewter star for each child I had with each child's name engraved on them (one star for each kid). It was pretty, elegant, and special because of the kids names being a part of it.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 23, 2005

I just wish more parents showed appreciation. There are always one or two who go all out . The rest have no clue whatsoever. This year we have one parent who showers us with flowers and gift cards for every single occasion! I wish that someone would educate parents and let them know how much we appreciate their input.

17. gigi

gigi Groupie

May 24, 2005

I agree with the gift certificates, both for school supplies and personal. I have received flowering shrubs, lots of snowman items, as they know I collect, and one year............a lacy outfit from Victoria's Secret! The Mom was embarrased, but the child insisted that I would love it. The child picked it out personally. My face was red, but I accepted the gift with the love it was given. Kids!!!

18. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

May 28, 2005

I said notes earlier...
    and just had to share this
    As I cleaned off and out my desk this week (I always do this for the summer to lock everything up in my office because my room becomes sort of a storage place during summer cleaning....) I kept finding notes my students had planted under my calendar, in my basket under my pop-up post it notes, under my keyboard. I had a few good laughs and a few tears... I've been going through a hard time the past few weeks and those notes let me know how much some of them DO appreciate what we do for them!!

19. lowrie

lowrie Companion

May 29, 2005

Here are a few things I've done over the years for my three sons' teachers and I've had positive feedback from them.

1. Small inexpensive plant, repotted in a clay pot painted by my child. Then I take a picture of my son, glue it to an index card and have him write "Thanks for helping me grow!" on it, glue it to a skewer and stick it in the plant.

2. I get a plain tote bag from a craft store (around $5.00) and scan the class photo into my computer. I print the photo on the tshirt transfer paper and iron it onto the tote bag (this was especially nice for the teacher who "looped" with my middle son for grades 4 and 5, I put the grade 4 class photo on one side and the grade 5 on the other.

3. Gift certificate for a pedicure -- all those hours spent on their feet, teachers NEED a massage ;-)

hth!