Lookin for an Elementary Musical

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by dianejw, Aug 7, 2005.

1. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Aug 7, 2005

Last year I made a posting asking for help in finding an elementary musical. You guys were awesome and led me to a musical called Santa's Holiday Hoedown. It was a fun and great musical to perform with lots of humor. I'm not sure we can top that musical, but I would like to find something different to do this year for Christmas. We will definitely try Santa's Holiday Hoedown again in a few years. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what might make good Christmas musicals for grades 3-5 and also ones for K-2.

3. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 7, 2005

A friend of mine who teaches high school drama was just telling me about the musical "School House Rock" . It's based on the school house rock videos we are all familiar with. She said it would be great to do with young kids.
    Pam

4. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 8, 2005

Great sites to look for musicals is www.jwpepper.com and www.popplersmusic.com I teach K-6 music and always order my musicals for the year from these companies. Last year my 4-6th grades did "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and it was a huge success. It was a review with connecting dialogue & the students/audience LOVED the music. We added costumes, dances, backdrops, but it could also be done more simple. (By the way, I did Holiday Hoedown 3 years ago and it was cute, but 12 Days was the best show we've done by far.) "A Day in the Country" is a good musical for K-2 with traditional kids songs. My favorite kindergarten musicals to do are "The 3 Billy Goats Gruff" and "The Little Red Hen". I can't remember the specific publisher on those right now, but they are soooooo cute & easy to learn with lots of repetitive songs. Anyway, look at those websites & you can pick from almost anything. And...I would recommend anything by Teresa Jennings or John Jacobson. Everything I buy by them I love; however, I have not been a fan of Jill Gallina's musicals. If you need anything else pm me or I will try to check back on this thread.

5. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Aug 8, 2005

musicteach

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I am not by any means a music teacher. I teach fourth grade and am in a building that shares a music teacher who is not interested in doing programs with the students. Our new principal really wanted someone to do some type of performance so I decided to give it a whirl and ended up loving every minute of it.

I am really interested in the Twelves Days of Christmas since you spoke so highly of it. It sounds like it might invovle a lot of students too. I will do a search and see if I can listen to some of the music.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 9, 2005

Our K-1 when i was student teaching did a musical that was a "fashion show" of sorts by a variety of nursery rhyme/story book characters. It was SO cute. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of it.

7. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 9, 2005

Wow! You are such a dedicated teacher to take on programs! I can't believe your music teacher even has a choice. Does she at least teach the music for the programs?

The Twelve Days of Christmas is by Mark Brymer & John Jacobson in case you came up with several choices when you searched. You definitely could use as many kids in the program as you'd like & you could have different classes/groups sing different songs so everyone doesn't have to learn them all. There are lots of options--plus since it's a review it's broken into different sections so you can kind of choose which songs you want to do. I think you'll love it if you get it (make sure to buy the performance CD--it's great). If you need anything else, let me know!

8. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Aug 9, 2005

clarnet73,
    That does sound cute.......I'll keep my eyes open for something that looks like that. If you remember the name, please let me know.

musicteach,

No, I don't think dedicated is the word. I think it is more like I am just a glutton for punishment and can't say no. But really it was an incredible experience. I loved getting to know my students in a different way. They are so talented. What was really exciting for me was to see students who struggled in my classroom be so gifted on the stage. We held all of our practices after school so it didn't interfere with my day of teaching. Somehow our music teacher is able to escape such things. He is really a nice guy but just doesn't want to be in the position he is in. His love is working as a band instructor and for some reason they moved him in to vocal. I think he is just bitter about the move. In his defense, too, he is shared between two buildings so I know that situation makes it more difficult. Of course he doesn't do any programs in the other building either. However he has always been very approachable about working with the students on the songs during class. So I definitely enlist his help and anyone else's that I can find. My daughter who will be a senior in college is very musically talented and had the lead performances in musicals when she was at the high school. Although she goes to school two 1/2 hours away from me, we got together and she did the choreography for me. What was hysterical was my daughter trying to teach me the dances so that I could go back and teach my students.

I think I will order a copy of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" so I can listen to the songs. The web sites you shared were great. I especially liked popplersmusic because I could listen to some audio samples of different musicals.

Thanks again for your help!

9. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Aug 9, 2005

Bad Wolf Press.com is where I get my yearly musical. They're fantastic!

10. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Aug 10, 2005

Thanks lovelabs! I have never heard of that web site, but I will definitely check it out!

11. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

dianejw
    that santa's hoedown would it be appropriate for grades K-3. We do a xmas concert every year and it can be so boring. The kids stand together sing one song and go off the stage. Not that exciting. (many parents leave after their child has performed). Do you have some ideas I could give to my primary division? I think an xmas concert is a great idea.
    Even the fashion show idea is great too. My old school did that with grades 3-8. It was called dancing through the decades. They started at the 50's and did a dance for each era. It was fantastic! Too much for primary though!

12. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 10, 2005

It's been several years, but from what I remember of the music/dialogue I don't think Santa's Holiday Hoedown would be appropriate for K-3, but there are TONS of holiday musicals available for that age. Check out the 2 sites I posted above.

13. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Aug 10, 2005

canada friend,

I think Santa's Holiday Hoedown is more appropriate for the intermediate grades. Third grade could handle it okay, but I think you need to look for a musical designed for the younger grades. Perhaps a musical that includes a lot of rhyming for speaking parts would work well for the younger students. Do check out the sites that musicteacher suggested. There does seem to be a lot of good ones out there for the younger grades. You are right in that the musicals make for a great little performance rather than just having classes sing songs. Most of them seem very easy to pull together and this comes from a non music teacher. I have to say though that I loved doing Santa's Holiday Hoedown. But it was performed by grades 3-5 in our building. I am in the process of looking for two this year, one for the primary and one for the intermediate grades. I will be sure and post any primary ones that I find that look good.
    Good luck in your quest to find one.