longest week - TGIF!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pacificpastime, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Feb 18, 2011

Oh my this week seemed to crawl by. Also it is getting late in winter (temperature not calendar) and the kids are were had a tough case of cabin fever. If it wasn't cabin fever it was actual fever. Everyday at least one kid was out due to sickness. I can't complain too much - I want them home if they are sick, but it still means work that has to be made up, getting a little behind, etc. Finally, my car broke down tuesday so I had to take two buses to school, nearly doubling my commute time. Just one of those weeks. Still love my kids, but happy for the weekend! I am going to have pizza and wings and peruse the netflix in the recliner tonight. Everyone else enjoy their weekends!

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 18, 2011

Yes, definitely time for a Friday night! We might go see True Grit. Definitely a chicken soup night too.

I try to take the kids out even if it is really cold, just warn parents ahead of time to dress for weather. I think some of y'all in the Lower 48 have colder temps than I do here. We bundle up the kids and give them at least 15 min. to run around outside. Cabin fever is the pitts!

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2011

Yeah, I wish we could take the kids out when it's cold. Where I grew up, we only didn't go out if it was pouring or below zero. Here, if we are below 30 or wind chills below 20, we don't go out (or if there's any snow on the ground). That's pretty much the entire month of January, and usually February too. Thank goodness it warmed up this week and we were able to go outside!

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 18, 2011

How sad that you can't go out when there is snow! Our kids go bonkers when it starts snowing (we get mostly rain here), so the teachers freeze, but it makes us happy to see them so excited. Ours is a small school though, maybe that is a factor.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2011

We're a small school, too. It's just the mindset here (which is strange because it snows every year). One of the older teachers said that they used to have the kids bring boots for recess, and I don't know why we still don't do that.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 18, 2011

Maybe you could start a revolution?? Have you read the book Recess at 20 Below?

From School Library Journal
    Kindergarten-Grade 3–Through minimal text, a girl describes dressing for and enjoying recess in Alaska, even when it is 20 degrees below zero. Colorful, clear photographs, many framed against pastel backgrounds imprinted with snowflakes, show the various items of clothing the children put on and their playground activities, such as sledding, making forts, and playing soccer or football. Telling pictures feature frozen eyelashes, hair, and eyebrows, as well as the mounds of clothing when recess is over. The only thing that stops these students from going outside for a break from their studies is a temperature lower than 20 below or a random moose.–

We get rain by the feet, not inches, here. Our kids are only kept inside if we have high winds - which can get up to 50 MPH regularly at the solstices. They just bring rain gear and boots, and for the cold, boots, warm jackets, gloves, hats.

I highly recommend the book, even if you don't want to start a revolution.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 18, 2011

I feel the same way about this week dragging! I had last Fri off & I'm glad to say I have Mon off too!

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 19, 2011

What amazes me is the phone calls we get when we do go out, but if you ask the kids they tell you they play outside at home after school. We were out for a week for snow and busted pipes. My kids told stories of sledding, making forts, having snowball fights, but we can't take them out for five minutes. We had ice and snow so bad the week of the 7th that we missed school, but the temp was in the high 60's and low 70's this week. Welcome to Oklahoma...next week they are calling for a cold front.