Long wait, short interview, please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sub2Teach, May 29, 2007.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

May 29, 2007

Hello Everyone!!!!!!!! Well, I had my first interview of the season today and didn't go exactly how I would've hoped. I had an appointment for 8:30am today and I didn't get into my interview until around 9:45am. The principal was in a meeting with some upset parents. So, I tried to remain calm while i waited. Unfortunately, I was right outside the nurse's office and a student got sick right outside there and so then I waited and watched as that was cleaned up. Anyway, it was supposed to be an informal screening interview. Well, once I finally got in there, he only asked me a few questions, asked if I had any, and then by 10:05 I was out the door. I don't know if he was distracted or uninterested or what. Anyway, how should I follow up with a thank you note? Is it a good idea to handwrite a letter, write a message on a thank you card, send a typed thank you letter or send a thank you email? Any thoughts on which method is best? Its a shame how it all turned out because I've subbed at this school before and its the school I would most want to teach at. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope everyone else is having better luck than me on interviewing.

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 29, 2007

I usually hand write a note in a thank you card and send it directly to the principal asap.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 29, 2007

Actually a 20 min interview is the average time.
    Hand write a thank you note.

5. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

May 29, 2007

That sounds like an average interview. If you've subbed in the school before (and had a presense there) then the principal probably already knew if she wanted to hire you or not.

6. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

May 30, 2007

Thanks for your help. I ended up using a thank you card and put a note in there. I hope it helps. I have my fingers crossed and am hoping and praying for a call back for second interview. Any way to prepare for second as opposed to the first interview? I've never been on a second one, so that's why I'm curious.

7. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 31, 2007

So did you ask...

when the decision would be made?

any reason that would stop him/her from hiring you for the position?

And, in the thank you note, did you say something along the lines "I would love the opportunity to speak with you again, or discuss the position at length..."

But, if you still wanted the position after watching a kid "toss his cookies" I'd hire you!

8. cdowdell

cdowdell Companion

May 31, 2007

Wow...I have had 4 interviews thus far and they have all lasted longer than 20 min. I can't believe you had to wait that long after your set meeting time! Anyway to address your thank you question...I have been sending e-mails. Most of the places I have interviewed have told me they would make a decision w/in the next week (or less) and so I find e-mail to get to them much quicker!...plus then I'm sure they recieved it.

Hope you have better experiences...good luck w/ the job hunt..I'm getting discouraged myself.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 31, 2007

Unfortunately, situations happen in schools that have to be dealt with immediately, regardless of what else is on the calendar. We had an injury to a student last week that has basically taken over all else--many appointments, interviews and meetings have been cancelled as a result. Is in unfortunate, but reality. As far as the length of an interview, I have had interviews that lasted anywhere from 10 minutes (for my current job) to over an hour (I didn't get that one).

Keeping fingers crossed!