Long vowels in Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by zoey'smom, Sep 26, 2009.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

We had a school Improvement day yesterday and one of the things we had to do, was each grade list the things that they wanted their kids to have mastered coming into their grade and things that you would introduce and then what they should have mastered. I found it quite interesting what the first grade teachers expected our kindergartners to mastered by the end of the year. The first grade teachers are upset because the kids are not coming into Kindergarten completely understanding Long vowels. They want them to have mastered this. I talk about the silent e and introduce it in my teachers message and talk about it when we journal but that is it. They do not introduce in our reading series in Kindergarten. So I would say we introduce it but we do not expect them to master it. Is this something I need to work on even more?

I have a very low class this year. I will be lucky to have all or them to even know what a vowel is let alone long vowels. This year I have a majority of my class who don't know their letters and half of them who still can't write their name without looking. When do you teach long vowels and do they master it before they leave kindergarten?

3. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2009

We do not even talk about long vowel until the very end of the year- it just confuses them if you introduce it too early! It is not in our reading series either, we cover all the short vowel and the kids learn long vowels in first grade. Do you have the same reading program in K and first grade? If it is not taught in K, I would think it would be continued into first...but, maybe not. Do the first grade teachers teach something that requires this knowledge at the beginning of the year?
    I feel for you, I have a low class this year to and I'm struggling to get them to differentiate between the 3 consonants we learned already...and that is like pulling teeth!!

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

Yes, we do have the same reading series. The funny thing is I taught First grade for 5 years before I taught Kindergarten. So, that is why I thought it was so weird that they wanted them to know them already. They don't even start teaching Long vowels right away. I think it is a very hard concept for them even in First Grade. As far as teaching things that requires the knowledge of long vowels, I would have to say no. I think it is that they don't want to teach it. They want them to already have that knowledge.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2009

I really don't think long vowels are all that appropriate for most kindergartners to know. It seems strange that they would want the kids to know them and be able to use them when they enter 1st.

In my 24 years of teaching I've very very rarely had a child who was really ready for long vowels. Wouldn't they want you to make sure they know the short vowels and REALLY know them well instead of going on to long vowels? Jut my 2 cents.

6. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

I feel the same way, but I know that Kindergarten has changed. They are expected to know more and more every year. It was also funny to see everyone's list of what they introduce. Kindergartens list was huge and I think we also forgot to put some things.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2009

What does your principal/director say?

8. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

I don't think he is aware of this yet. I have to meet with him next week to go over my evaluation. I might say something to him about it. The Principal wasn't in the room while we were doing this activity. We had to write everything down so I am sure he will see it.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 26, 2009

I think kindergarteners can learn what the vowels are, and that they make short and long sounds. You can teach this and review it through songs (Dr. Jean and Jack Hartmann both have great ones for this! Also, when we taught Open Court there was a song with that curriculum to help teach the vowels.) My students couldn't read long vowel words, but they did know what the vowels were, and that they made two sounds, but that in words we were reading they made the short sound.

Maybe that's what they meant. Not mastery of reading long vowel words, but just knowing that they exist.

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2009

This really is a whole school decision that the principal needs to make in order for this to go smoothly.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 26, 2009

We run into the same thing with our 1st Grade team. Our kids are actually expected to read 40 words per minute in fluency tests by May of Kinder :eek:! They also want them to be adding and subtracting 2-digit numbers (but I know that's math). It's also a long list they have for us and definitely not appropriate developmentally, I dread "vertical planning" because of that. What it turns into is them making a checklist for us of their ideal student coming in to First.

I agree with Tracy to see what the admin says. I really think sometimes it can do more harm to introduce concepts they are not ready for-they don't get a proper understanding of it and you actually have to un-teach and re-teach later on.

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2009

"Vertical planning" for those of us who teach K's is usually just a bunch of 1st grade teachers who don't think it's their job to teach reading, and the K teachers defending developmentally appropriate practice.

Sorry if I sound a little jaded here. It's been horrible at my school lately with this.

13. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2009

WHAT!? :eek: I would be so mad- we have enough problems recognizing the number 1-20, adding single digits is challenging in May and June!

14. missamie

missamie Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

I've moved from K to 1st this year, we just lightly introduced long vowels at the end of the year and according my my 1st grade reading book we're still reviewing short vowels.
    With that said, I do use the spalding phonograms. In K we introduced and practiced 1-50, so that included long vowels, but that doesn't mean they carried them over into reading or writing - some did most did not.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ujJPmCH24 - a video from the end of the year of my students practicing the phonograms.

15. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

I don't think my kids this year would be ready for all that, but I am very impressed. How long did it take to introduce all 50? When did you start? How many did you introduce in a day?

16. missamie

missamie Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

We started in September and added one every day until we got to 26. Then we just continued to practice those every day for a while. When most of them had those down we started adding more. We got to 50 in May. I moved up to first grade with my kids this year, I have 10 from last year and 13 new. We are back up to 50 as of yesterday and I told them we can start working toward 70 starting Oct 1.
    There is a whole writing program that goes with the phonograms, when I was trained I taught K so I didn't pay any attention to that so I'll try to dig out the info and see if I can't try to use some of it later in the year. The teacher that trained us had been trained in Australia. She was a fantastic teacher!

It's really cool when we're writing the morning message and the kids shout out - hey there's the phonogram "Boot - foot" (for oo) or "AY as in day!" It sinks in for some of them!

17. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 26, 2009

Yes, I am also very curious how this was done!

18. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

Thanks Missamie. Do you know if there is a web site or books that I could get more information? This sounds very interesting to me.

19. missamie

missamie Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

you can try http://www.spalding.org/ check out training and the store - look for instructional materials. You can also see how the phonograms are pronounced on youtube, there's a site created specifically for homeschoolers:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMAQLW4hIEk&feature=related
    If you were to buy the cards the ones I'm using in my video are the teacher size they sell for around $22, the indiviual size are not that much smaller and sell for $12 or so. I'd recommend getting the cards rather than making your own because they have cues on the back and a few word examples to help, but you could make your own. If you look up spalding phonograms on google you'll find a lot of resources.

20. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 26, 2009

I teach long vowels in kindergarten and the other teachers on my team do as well. I know this is one thing they retain because the 1st teachers now only review them at the beginning and move on to harder things. When I teach the vowels as they come up I focus on the short sound but mention that vowels have 2 sounds and what the other sound is with specific examples. After we teach all the letters, I go back and focus on the long sounds/distinguishing long and short vowel sounds. One of the best things I have found to teach them so that they remember is the vowel song from Dr. Jean. It is on the Totally Reading CD (which I love) and you can buy the CD and have it shipped or buy the song itself or CD as MP3s (to your itunes) from drjean.org. Check your state standards/scope and sequence to see if it is supposed to be just introduced and point that out the 1st grade teachers ;)