Long time no see…I got hired for September!!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissPapa, Jun 26, 2014.

1. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

Hola!

It's been a long while! I've been super super busy lately. Where do I begin…

So I believe I left off after having a long-term sub assignment at a school where I worked with kids with autism. It was a good experience, but I had a hard time with a very controlling para!!!! Didn't hear back from them after my term was over. Oh well. Guess they sided with her. Meh.

Then I bounced around different schools for a little bit until I was given another long-term sub assignment for a little less than half of a school year. A teacher quit and a leave replacement was needed. It was a much better experience. It was in an ICT class. I had the opportunity to work with a wonderful co-teacher I learned a lot from and an ESL para who was a hard worker. And the principal was the sweetest woman!

I didn't get hired there…BUT another school did, right after the hiring freeze was lifted. That principal knew the principal I was working for. Got hired an hour after the interview took place. It was the best news of my life. They didn't tell me what grade yet because of multiple vacancies, but I'm going to pick something up tomorrow, so good sign there! AND it's close to home!

And I just got engaged. My fiancé and I really needed this.

So how has everything been for everyone who I was talking to before I dropped off the face of the Earth? I'll try to post more!

To anyone who's still looking: keep sending out those resumes! It's so daunting, but it has to be done. Don't give up!

3. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jun 26, 2014

Congratulations!

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 26, 2014

Congrats! That's such an awesome feeling to be told an hour after your interview!!!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2014

Congratulations!

6. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

Congratulations!
    Sheilah

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 26, 2014

Congratulations-- both on the job and engagement!

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 26, 2014

Yay! Congrates!

9. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 26, 2014

Congrats! :)

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 26, 2014

Excellent! You can change your profile now!

11. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Yay!! Engagement and a job!!! That's fantastic :D

12. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

hahaha :p

13. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Congratulations!!!! That's fantastic :)

14. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

MissPapa...I wondered what had happened to you lol
    I am glad to hear the rest of the year went so well for you! Congrats on the job and your engagement! Best of luck :)

15. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Thanks guys! But now I'm getting more calls for interviews! I don't know if I should take them or say I got hired. You know…things do happen. But I got nominated (for you guys who live in NY, yes I got a nomination). Gahh what do I do? Keep going on interviews or hope this doesn't fall through? I feel that I'm in a good position because the principal talked to the principal of the school I had a long-term assignment in, and they're good friends. I should be okay, right? :p

16. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

I'm from NYC as well and I thought you only needed a nomination for substitute work? I thought for a full time position, you sign a contract.

Did you sign your contract for next year yet? If not, I would probably keep interviewing because I have learned that anything can happen to keep a person from a full time job. If you haven't officially signed with this school, and happen to get other offers, at least you are covering yourself. And if you sign before any other offers come in, you can let the other schools know that you are no longer looking.

17. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jun 27, 2014

I agree with sunshine24 I would keep interviewing, just in case.

18. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Yea you get nominated for full-time as well, after they offer you a position. They told me that they would contact me in two weeks to confirm and to send me a nomination (which they did). You confirm online, fill out some forms, then go to the DOE to have them verify one of your forms by having them make a copy of your passport (or other form of legit ID), and get a picture taken for your DOE ID for full-time teacher. I just texted a friend asking him about signing a contract.

I actually went to my school today to get a book that the staff is being made to read over the summer.

And I did cancel an interview because of the job offer. I wasn't a fan of the school's administration anyway (did some observation work). Was told by a staff member that I should be fine with my job offer after asking for advice.

19. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Wow, I didn't know the process was so complicated lol. I thought it was as simple as going to the DOE to sign a full time contract.

I hope this works out for you and sounds like it should. I would still go on some interviews (if they come up) until that contract is signed and you have something that says you are assigned to that school for September. I say this only because I have known people to get screwed over at this stage of the process and everyone says nothing is a done deal until that contract is sealed, signed, and delivered lol. Fingers crossed for you :)

20. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 9, 2014

So yea, just an update.

My processing is complete and I've been staffed. I also logged into the teacher application and it says "placed at school". So I'm happy about where things are going. I just wish I knew what grade I was teaching. But I was told sometime this summer I will find out and I will go there to pick up my materials (one of the APs will be working at the school all summer).

Also during my last day of work at the school I long-term subbed at, the principal (who is friends with the principal that hired me) gave me a warm good luck, and how I am in good hands :)

My friends who are full-time teachers also advised me to just fill out whatever I am asked to fill out and I should be fine.

I think I'm good. Just the anticipation is killing me lol

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2014

Congrats! I hope you hear soon!

22. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

Update:
    So I got the email confirming my hire. It was in my DOE email, which I've been TRYING to recover for weeks. So everything is good. All I know is that my grade is from K-2 (need to call the school, I got an email with someone being like "dear K-2 teachers"). YAY! I love smaller grades. But now I'm having issues with my salary differential. Gahhh…I gotta call HR Connect again…well, at least I know it's one step closer to being official.

Back to calling HR Connect...

23. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

Yayyy! Glad that you got the email. I got my email yesterday and my application now shows that I have been placed at a school. I am waiting to hear from my principal...I don't want to keep bothering her with my emails, so I'll see if I hear from her today or tomorrow.
    How did you find out what your DOE Outlook email is? I cant access anything without it? I need to do the Payroll Portal to sign up for direct deposit and to send in my differential.
    HR Connect...I am never wait less than 20 min to speak someone lol. So annoying. Hope you get some answers!

24. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

So I just found out I'm doing kindergarten (as of now). I am so happy! I love working with little kids. I'm even taking an early childhood course this summer, so that must've did it :)

Oh, and payroll and salary differential you have to wait until September. Although if you want to send direct deposit in paper form, you may. But it won't be processed until September.

As for your DOE outlook (email), call HR connect, they'll help you get set up.

25. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

Congrats! I LOVE Kindergarten!! All of these years, I was hoping for younger grades, but I got 4th. Oh well, still fun and hopefully I can make a switch in a few years if I want to.
    You will have so much fun with those babies :)

All of the info that they are sending is so confusing lol. It says to do it now, but then in another sentence, it says to be done after the first day of employment. I wish more people were working in the schools over the summer. I don't want to keep emailing my new principal with questions, so I am hoping to hear from her early next week.

Did you hear anything about when you will sign the contract?

26. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 10, 2014

Yup. Called HR Connect three times today. It was crazy.

Yea I'm super excited.

Didn't hear back about the contract yet, but there are a few times I have to come in to pick stuff up, set up, etc. So possibly one of those days.

But due to the constant contact and being sent emails with other teachers, I'm really not worried.

27. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

I hear ya lol... I had to call HRConnect twice and then the IT department yesterday.
    IT called me back this morning with my new DOE outlook email address and HR said I am all up to date with the application and am successfully processed! I just wanna sign my contract so I feel more secure... I want to feel more comfortable saying "I have a job".

I'm glad that you got some answers as well. Hope that everything is smooth sailing for us :)

28. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

Oh, forgot to mention, I love teaching 4th grade. I did it for student teaching and subbed 4th grade quite a few times. It's fun! Enjoy it, you might end up wanting to stay!

I feel about 99% secure at this point now that I found out what grade I'll be teaching. I have been clueless for weeks!

29. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jul 11, 2014

Congrats on the job and engagement! I am also so excited to be teaching kinder this year. Such a FUN age!

30. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

I know! Little kids at such a young and innocent age! They can be very needy, though, and you HAVE to keep repeating yourself! Always be very strict with them when it comes to class rules.

I'll never forget teaching a kindergarten class that was way too out of control. One kid was in time-out and stole my iPhone! But then again, that teacher was horrible to begin with. But most Kindergarten experiences have been great for me so it's very exciting.

And thanks!!!

31. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

UPDATE: So another friend of mine who's a NYC public school teacher gave me a clear answer. She told me she didn't sign any contract. My friend before (who didn't give me a clear answer) told me to just fill out whatever they make me fill out. Apparently you're all set once you get that email. I guess for private or charter schools they make you sign contracts? Or maybe things are done differently in other states? Or maybe not all public schools do it?

Well, I guess if I've been processed and got that email, then I'm good to go. Besides, you're REALLY not secure until you get tenured. So let's make sure our first three years are phenomenal!

32. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 11, 2014

Yeah I was going to say I don't think NYC teachers sign an official contract. It used to be once you got a written nomination letter from your P you were good to go. Since they changed the process now it's that final email clearing you for work that's the confirmation.

And yes nothing is truly secure until tenure! So here's to a happy and successful 3 years!!!

33. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

Yea quite a few people (on here, in person) kept asking me if I signed the contract yet. I was like, "I don't think we do!"

I guess I can change my title now!

34. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 11, 2014

Haha. Yes you can! Congrats!!

35. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

Oh, ok then. That's good to know lol. My aunt was hired 2 years ago as a Speech Lang Path in a public school and she had to physically sign a contract I believe. That is why I keep waiting for a final step lol. Anyway, knowing that I got that email and now my DOE and school emails are all set up, I feel a bit more secure. Now, I'm just hoping to get into my classroom this week to scout it out and look into setting up salary and direct deposit :)

Tenure...omg! Let the nerves begin now lol. It seems so far away, yet I know the first few years will probably fly by for us!

36. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

I won't be going to my classroom until the last week of August. Mehhhh. I really wanted to get started on buying my teacher supplies!

37. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

I know...I'm so anxious to start shopping too! I have made a little stockpile over the last 4 years of stuff, but I now will need specifics. I'll probably get started next week with class supplies (paper, pens, pencils, etc), then wait for other stuff until I get more information.

I wish that my principal had told me when to expect to get into my room (I don't even know what curriculum materials I will be using yet). If I don't hear from her by mid-week next week, I think I may shoot her an email just saying how excited I am and if possible, could I get a tour or something to that effect.