Long term?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, May 27, 2015.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

May 27, 2015

I was offered a 4 month long sub position (to cover a maternity leave at the beginning of next school year) in a school I really like. I said yes of course. Has anyone taken a similar position? What are the benefits of accepting it? It's a small school/district so I know it won't lead into a permanent position. I just worry that I won't be able to be in other districts within those four months.

3. happybat4

happybat4 Rookie

May 27, 2015

You can keep applying in the four months. This will get you a great letter of rec and also beef up your resume.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 27, 2015

It's an excellent opportunity. First, it may actually lead to a permanent position. Perhaps the teacher will decide not to return, or perhaps the principal will like you so much that he or she will offer you a position when one opens up unexpectedly. Don't immediately discount that opportunity. Second, a long-term position gives you excellent resume fodder. Third, you can walk away from this position with solid references from teachers and admin. Finally, you will gain valuable classroom experience.

Go for it!

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 27, 2015

This! Will you prep and open school? If so, that will also be a way to get excellent references.