Long-Term Subs - Staff Meeting Attendance?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by luckyal29, Nov 29, 2010.

1. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Nov 29, 2010

If you've subbed for more than a month at a school did you attend the staff meetings?

From previous experiences at 2 different schools, 2 subs did not attend staff meetings/development. In one instance, the sub day ended at 3:15 but staff meeting ran from 3:30-4:45 so that sub never went.

I know staff meetings won't be weekly, but as a long term sub what's the ettiquette on attendance. I want to ask the P but I don't want to give a bad impression by ducking the meetings. How would you approach the P about this?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2010

I know that our long-term subs are expected to attend staff and divisional meetings.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 30, 2010

Our long-term subs don't attend faculty meetings or district meetings. If anything is discussed that they need to know their grade-level reps let them know.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2010

Ours are required to do all the teacher duties, including all meetings.

6. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Nov 30, 2010

It'd be neato if they paid LTS subs for said meetings. Anyone getting paid for them?

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 30, 2010

I'm sure if you asked the P, he/she will probably say that they're not going to make you, but it would be nice if you would...in other words they mean, if you attend, it will show that you're serious and are going the extra mile to learn new things. So in a way, it's like they're pressuring you to go because it will look good.

I know you REALLY don't want to go (who does?), but if you're trying to make a good impression & trying to get a permanent teaching job out of this, it will be good to go.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 30, 2010

When I did an LTS, I did go to the staff meetings... as well as grade level planning meetings, and the cadre the regular teacher had been assigned to (we were planning for mother's day and father's day imvolvement events)... and I did the evening all-school reading night... Mondays were set aside in the teavcher contract as meeting days until 4:30 or something like that, so I went to thoe meetings when they were being held. I was at the time expecting to be there the rest of the year. I was being treated like a regular staff member, I should act like it.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2010

This is how it is in my district.

Long-term subs aren't contracted teachers, so they aren't obligated to attend things like after-school meetings, staff development days, etc. I suppose they can go if they want to, but no one would think less of them if they didn't. After all, they're not getting paid for it.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2010

I think it would depend on if you're getting a per diem sub rate or if you're getting a pro-rated teacher salary (or at least a higher daily rate for being a LTS). Either way, though, going can help make a good impression with the school.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 1, 2010

My last school required LTS to attend staff and district meetings, my current one does not. However, they do come to PLC's. If I were a LTS, I'd come just to be on the safe side.

12. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 1, 2010

During my LTS - last year at this time - I was required to attend the afterschool meetings. But my goal was to become the best teacher and best candidate for hire as I could. I attended and volunteered for EVERYTHING I could.

I think it's the difference between looking at it as a job or a career. (I understand home obligations - but....) It's more than the money to me...this is my life's calling. I WANT to teach. Anything that gets me there/involved...I DO.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2010

At our meetings, we discuss things that are coming up in the calendar and things we need to know.

I can't imagine why anyone would choose to miss one. That means you come in the next day not having information that everyone else on the faculty has.

Why would you choose to do that to yourself?

14. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 1, 2010

Our long term subs attend faculty meetings, but they are right after school and usually only last 20-30 minutes so they barely run over the school day.

15. glitzeyes

glitzeyes Rookie

Dec 24, 2010

It probably depends on the situation but I just accepted a LTS position for the entire rest of the year beginning January 4th and I am excepted to go to all staff meetings and development days. My sub pay is based on student days but they are paying me for the development days. I would recommend asking the principal because a LTS isn't looked at as just a sub in a lot of cases

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 24, 2010

I'm not too sure about my district and I haven't worked in a school that had a LTS.... I think it will depend on your contract. I know that our principals are not allowed to ask our teachers that do not work f/t to attend staff meetings unless they give them time off in lieu.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2010

After a certain number of days, LTS in my district are paid the contracted teacher pay, pro-rated for the amount of time they are in the LTS position. Ours DO go to faculty meetings. It's a smart idea to go-it makes you stand out as someone who really wants to be a true member of the staff.

18. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 25, 2010

LTS are expected to participate in meetings. Teachers don't get extra pay for them, why should LTS??

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 25, 2010

When I was a LTS I attended staff meetings both when I was getting $100 per day and when it switched to regular teacher rate. Even though I stayed beyond the regular sub day to me it just made sense to go. Kind of like I did lesson plans, grading, parent contacts and a whole lot of stuff a daily sub wouldn't do even though my pay was the same. As far as I was concerned it was just part of the deal of being a LTS. If I wasn't going to be willing to do the extra work involved that I wouldn't have taken a LTS job.

20. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 25, 2010

Depending on the length of the LTS job they might only be paid what a daily sub is paid which is (I would assume!) less than a teacher gets paid. So I think the feeling for some LTS is that since they're only being paid what a daily sub gets paid, why should they stay later for a meeting? Again, I don't agree with that feeling and think LTS should attend all meetings even when not paid.

21. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2010

I've done quite a few long term assignments and my policy was that if the staff meetings were held during my paid work hours, then I should attend. If they're after school, then no.