Long Term Sub

Discussion in 'General Education' started by atxteacher, Aug 10, 2014.

1. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Aug 10, 2014

I have an interesting position I am being presented with but I will go into detail when I know more..

my question is: if you were a long term sub for a few months.. do you do the planning with the team or does the teacher for that class do it? I am talking the ENTIRE semester... beginning to end...

3. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2014

Depends on your situation; some LTS get to plan their own lessons, others do not.

Once, my 8th grade ELA teacher went on maternity leave but she had to take two extra months off. She knew/selected (and trusted) the LTS beforehand, but she planned everything (EVERYTHING) to the T for the LTS. I mean everything. This was the teacher's personality and I KNOW it would have broke her heart if the LTS had deviated too much from this.

I have also seen LTS thrown a textbook and a room key and told, "have fun!" That was it in regards to directions and help from IST/Admin.

4. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 10, 2014

I was an LTS last year, and I had 3 different assignments. In my first assignment, I was the sped co-teacher and worked with 3 other gen ed teachers. They did the planning and I just did the modifications for my kids, though I did participate in the delivery. They had been teaching their classes for years so their plans were already pretty set. In the second assignment, I was a self contained sped teacher. I had to "plan" but the teacher used scripted lessons, so the planning was REALLY easy. In the third assignment, I was a gen ed teacher. The 3 teachers on the team all did the same thing but put their own spin on it, so while the other 2 teachers made the general plans, I was able to plan my own delivery to a point. I think each assignment is going to be different based on the teacher you're subbing for and the school you're in. I liked my assignments even though I didn't have a ton of freedom to do things "my way".

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2014

Here, in Michigan, the LTS is expected to do the lesson plans.

In North Carolina, the teacher on leave does lesson plans. Sometimes a teammate will do them. Sometimes the sub will do them if they prefer to do so. Generally, if you get a certified/retired teacher as an LTS, they do them. Non certified teachers (yes, they can be an LTS) typically don't.

Michigan pays LTSs well. North Carolina doesn't pay them any extra above standard sub pay.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2014

Here, the LTS is expected to take over all of the duties of the teacher on leave. That includes planning, designing assessments, marking, communicating with parents and completing report cards.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2014

In NJ, a semester is actually called a leave replacement, and you provide the lesson plans, grades, etc., working in the framework and with other teachers in the same grade/subject when possible. I liked LTS, some subs avoid like the plague because of the extra work. Here that extra work means a much bigger paycheck. Only complaint is that you can be there for a semester or more, and no benefits or time applied towards tenure. Looks good on a resume.