Long-term sub

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 7, 2005

I will be taking over a long-term sub position in a fourth grade from Dec-March while the classroom teacher is on maternity leave. Right now, I'm looking for some suggestions from people who have some experience with this of how to make the transition easier for the students. I'm planning on keeping all of the routines and procedures the same, but I'm afraid that if I change anything even slightly that I will be met with some serious resistance! I am prepared for that, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)
    Thanks!

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 7, 2005

When I had a long term sub she would call me with any problems. Since it as a surprise when I left she came to my house to talk to me.

I'm sure you subbed before, so for those little changes remind them you're not the same teacher as their reg. techer, so you may do things different. That's how I also started out the day subbing when I subbed!!!

I did, however, find it rude that she said you know don't expect stuff to be where you left it and she also did repot cards w/out me and put comments on them using "I" which, I thought made me lk like I did them. I had to face parents at conferences a few weeks later.I didn't know she did that until one of the parents talked to me!!!

Good Luck!!!

4. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Nov 7, 2005

I've never been a long term sub, but when I was a student I HAD a long term sub. To make the transition easier for us (fifth grade), she was our regular sub for the days months leading up to the term, and as well, she spent time in our class WITH our classroom teacher. After her term, she was there for the first day back with the regular teacher to ease the reverse transtion.

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 7, 2005

I know that you don't have too much time before you start your position - but, could you write them a letter and tell them about yourself? Then the students could each write you a letter about themselves, so that you could know a little about them before you start your new job.

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2005

I'm a long term sub now, and although I have been there since the beginning of the year, I think one of the best idea is to see if you could sit in the class a day or two. It will be easier to keep the transition smooth that way, and the students will get to know you a little. It is also important to get to know the other team members (your grade level)...they can help make things easier for you. Good Luck!

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 7, 2005

I'm actually going to be in the classroom starting December 5th and she doesn't go on maternity leave until Dec. 16th, I'm going to have some time in the room with her before she leaves. They did this mainly because they're afraid of her going into labor early and then just throwing me into the room, I think will help out a lot.
    I will be there for almost 4 months, so I will be doing report cards (in February, I believe). I hope that she'll come in to work on them with me, but I don't know. DizneeteachR, how long was the sub in your room when she did report cards? The parents didn't realize that it was her writing the comments and not you? I only ask because I"m sure I will be writing comments on the report cards when I do them and I don't want to do anything that would upset her. I will have been there for over 2 months when I do them, though, and will be there for a month afterwards.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 7, 2005

I've had quite a few long term assignments in speech, RSP & SDC. The longest one was the entire school year at a middle school for speech because they didn't have a speech pathologist at the time. It was easy money!

9. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Nov 7, 2005

you may want to talk to the teacher who you wil be "filling in" for. She may have a list of regular comments, or may be willing to helpyou out on some of the "sensitive" cases. OR....Lotsa times districts have "canned" remarks that you can automatically insert, usually agreed upon by the grade level team/ teacher coordinator/trainer and principal. Iam pretty sure that this website would have something that you could show to her and ya'll could agree upon. Definitely , get those reportcard comments pre-approved by either the team leader/or an administrator.
    As for the transition time, type up an intro letter about yourself and have it reviewed by the principal before it is sent out by the office staff or their regular teacher to the students families.

It has been my experience(sometimes painfully, especially the first long term for me) that it always, always pays to have prior approval and proofing before you do the intro letter, and the intro letter is a neccessity for most for parents to be comfortable.
    Ihad the kids writing letters to their teacher and sent them to her weekly, so that she could stay in touch with her "extended " family. They wrote these notes during morning opening exercises, recess, or brought themfrom home. Good luck, and congrats. I feel sure you'll do a great job. :)

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 7, 2005

I already have my introduction letter typed-up and plan to give it to the principal to review on my first day so that it can be sent home either that day or later on that week. The regular classroom teacher will still be there at that point, so I figure that will be a good time to send the letter home.
    Having the students write letters to her is a great idea. I'll probably do that with them.

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 8, 2005

The teacher just emailed me about some more things she has gotten together for me for lessons and units that I'm planning. I thought that was really good of her. I think this transition is going to be pretty easy for all of us involved! :)
    I emailed her back thanking her and asking her if it would be ok to write a friendly letter to the students introducing myself and then having them write back to me so I can get to know them a little better....and get to see their writing abilities.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2005

I went on maternity leave...I was early so there was the surprise. I was gone 8 school weeks. She just wrote stuff like Billy (not a kid in my class) is having trouble with his reading skills I would like to investigate other ways of helping him, something of this nature. Each one was different and not a general statement. I'm not sure what the parents thought or how many knew. Maybe you could send in one of your letters home that you'll be doing the report cards for this marking period and the comments will be coming from you. I just would have liked to known before going in...that was the most upsetting thing!!! I had to sit and read each comment before the conferences...I really thought she should have done them. I came back and was there a week and half and then we had conferences to cover the time I was gone!!! Just a little frustrating how everything was handled!!!

The parents didn't like her much either. I was told by one mom that she came in late with her son one day and she was sitting behind my desk and the kids were working on something. We are talking about 1st graders. I never sat at my desk. I had really low kids, so I'm not really sure what she was doing. UGH!!!

I think the letter is a great way to help with the transition...I'm really glad you're going in early as well.

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 9, 2005

Ok, well I went by the school again today. I dropped off the introduction letter to the parents so that the teacher can send it home today with the letter that she's written to them about her maternity leave. I also dropped off the letters that I wrote to the students introducing myself and she's going to email me when they are finished writing back. I'm really looking forward to reading what they have written, and I'm curious to see how well they all write....it will help with some of my lesson planning! :)
    She gave me some more resources to use for the science unit on weather that I'mplanning and she gave me her plan book from last year to take a look at what she usually does during the months that I'm going to be there. She's being so helpful!

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2005

I'm sure she wants it to go smoothly for you, so she doesn't worry. Just remember she's there for you as well!!

15. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 9, 2005

Oh believe me, I plan on using her as my greatest resource! :)
    I'm just glad that she's being so nice and so helpful to me. Whenever you're in someone else's classroom for an extended period of time (student teaching, long-term sub, etc) there's that possibility of the person getting very territorial...at least that's a worry of mine. I know she's not exactly thrilled that she has to leave her room for 3 months (happy about the baby, not about having to miss work!) and I was afraid that she might resent me a little bit, but she's been great. :)

16. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2005

I understand what you mean about teachers being terrirorial...they all can be!! It sounds like you are with a good teacher though, and when a teacher is gone on maternity leave (in my experience), they have so much going on at home, they are happy to have a competent person in their classroom that they don't have to check in with everyday and worry about. Good luck, let us know how things go!