Long Term Sub

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by krhrvey44, Jun 2, 2011.

1. krhrvey44

krhrvey44 Rookie

Jun 2, 2011

I am going to be taking courses to obtain my license and would love to get some experience in the classroom. Do schools normally post Long term sub. positions on their website or is that something that post internally?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 3, 2011

In my school it would be offered to someone we know internally from the list of subs we've had experience with or someone we know well.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 3, 2011

I got a LTS job from a posting on the school's web site. I know my current district just posts internally though. So I guess it just depends on the school.

However, I don't know of any that want to hire someone not yet certified. You say "going to obtain your license" so I'm not sure how far off that is. Until you have your license unless you're something very hard to fill (physics in an inner city school perhaps) then it's unlikely to get anything other than per diem subbing.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 3, 2011

:yeahthat:

In my state, you have to be a credentialed teacher to work in a long term sub job that is more than 30 days.

6. springmac

springmac Companion

Jun 3, 2011

Very true. In my district you can't even day to day sub without a license. I'm sure it varies from state to state.

7. krhrvey44

krhrvey44 Rookie

Jun 6, 2011

Thanks for the info. I am looking to leave business world and get experience while I work on my license but will need income comoing in.

8. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jun 6, 2011

Krh, I don't want to crush your dream of becoming a teacher but many of us have been looking for work for a long time. If I were you, I'd stay put in the business world while working on your credentials. And maybe things in education will be better by the time you have have completed the requirements for your license and if not you have a job. That is just my unsolicited advice. :)

As far as LTS, the other posters have addressed that. Every district is different so really be sure to check it out. :) Good luck!!!

9. krhrvey44

krhrvey44 Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

I understand l8ybugmon, just hard focusing at work when I would rather be in the classroom. :) I know a lot of folks fell the same. Our time will come though.

10. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 7, 2011

You need to be a state licensed teacher in order to get a long term substitute teaching position.

11. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jun 7, 2011

If you can afford to leave your job while still finishing up classes, I know in my area at least you can be a teacher assistant without a teaching license (and I think possibly without a college degree...I think you just need a certain number of credit hours). I got my LTS asst. position from responding to a posting on the sub website. I think they normally would do an interview, but since I had student taught in the district just the semester before, the P at my current school just called up the P where I student taught and talked to her about me. She had good things to say, and I was offered the job the next day! That is because it was a LTS job, though...you'd definitely have to apply and interview for a contracted asst. position. Although it's not lead teaching, it's still a great way to get experience and to get your name out there!

12. krhrvey44

krhrvey44 Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

Do schools normally post those asst postions on their websites?

13. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jun 8, 2011

Mine does....you have to look under non-certified or even classified.

Good luck!