Long-term sub with no plans...Eek!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Froggie, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Froggie

Froggie Rookie

Apr 29, 2006

Howdy! I sped through these threads and couldn't find anything regarding lessons on decimals (mods, I do hope this is okay here. If not, feel free to move it, delete it, whatever).
    I have been surfing the internet for two days looking for lessons on decimals to teach to my bilingual 3rd grade class (I'm not bilingual, so we have minor communications issues, to say the least).
    Does anyone have ANY suggestions on how I can lay down the basics of decimals for these kids? The TE Math book doesn't do very much for helping explain this and these guys are proving both difficult to handle and in need of concrete before moving to abstract, otherwise I loose them.

:) :thanks:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2006

I'm a high school teacher doing some freelance writing for a 5th grade math book and am just finishing the decimals chapter. Myabe this will help:

Work with money!!! By 3rd grade, most kids have some sort of a handle on how money works, and can count by 5's and 10's.

Conceptually, explain to them why a $0.25 piece is called a "quarter"- that it's one fourth of a dollar, but worth 25 cents. So 1/4=0.25 And half a dollar is $.50, so 1/2=0.5 Then you can build on the idea that fractions and decimals are different forms of the same number.

Have them count money to do addition and subtraction-- maybe spend time on a "school store" concept to have them work the addition.

For mult, start w/ multiplying by 10,100,1000. Give them markers or something to act as nickels, and have them count up the value of 10, then work up to 100. See if you can get them to come up with the whole moving the decimal idea.

Hope my ideas help a bit-- I'm much better with quadratic equations!

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

5. Froggie

Froggie Rookie

Apr 30, 2006

Thanks, Amanda! Those websites are great!

I appreciate your input too, Alice. I've been looking around for a few math center ideas and I think that a "store" with play money would be a good way to practice these decimals.

6. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

May 7, 2006

In addition to the store idea, kids might like their own checkbooks. I used them a few years ago to 'pay' for work and 'charge' for Inc. assignments, behavior infractions, etc. I started out way too BIG and, even though the kids seemed to love adding deposits and writing out checks, it became too labor intensive!! With that in mind, maybe you could modify the idea to fit your class.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 7, 2006

5th grade rocks I really like your idea... but balancing that checkbook is not my forte...LOL:(