Long term sub vent

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cocobean, Jun 3, 2018.

1. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jun 3, 2018

So, I started my maternity leave early April. My sub observed and led a few lessons before I left. He seemed like he’d do ok. I heard that he lost a bit of control, but I knew I had a couple rough students. I figured he’d get things in order before the year ended.
    Well, this weekend I went to start packing up my classroom and Oh. My. God. My room was a mess. Piles of paper everywhere, supplies on the floor, bulletin board pulled apart. Worst of all my classroom library was in shambles. Boxes ruined, torn books, nothing is in order. I was shocked at how he let my students and classroom go. I spent hours cleaning and packing my classroom. I’m just ready to start fresh next year.

/rant over

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2018

Let the admin know

MrsC likes this.
  4. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jun 3, 2018

Definitely will.

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 3, 2018

PUT the blame where the blame lies. He did not let them go! They let themselves go by disrespecting him and your classroom environment.

Reality Check likes this.
  6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 3, 2018

I think you need to contact the sub to ascertain what happened before he loses his job; when I did a LTS many moons ago, I had little support too - no laptop, very minimal plans. The teacher wasn't available/didn't respond when I had questions or issues. It was left to the department head - not her job - to address.

Reality Check likes this.
  7. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jun 3, 2018

I left detailed plans for three weeks, and mapped out topics/lessons to cover for the remainder of the school year. He has full access to the technology in the classroom, and support from my team as well as admin.
    I was so shocked because we have been in contact. Some blame does fall on the students, but he was left in charge, not a group of nine year olds.

czacza likes this.
  8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 3, 2018

I'm a little confused. Is school completely over or is there still time left?

9. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jun 3, 2018

Last day is Thursday. Everything has to come off the walls and get packed up before turning in your keys. I figured I could get some bulletin boards down and most supplies put away. But, there was way more mess than I anticipated!

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 3, 2018

I would still get his side of the story first and see what he says

11. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 4, 2018

IMO, only to be expected - there was a 50/50 chance that this would have happened. There's nothing anyone can say or do that will set things right. Now that you've cleaned up the mess, just look forward to next year and enjoy the new addition to your family!

12. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 4, 2018

If the administrator(s) ignored him because he was a substitute, the blame belongs right there.