Long Term Sub Questions

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by filochica, May 23, 2009.

1. filochica

filochica Rookie

May 23, 2009

1. Can someone tell me what it is like to long term sub in elementary school? Do you need to come up with plans or does the regular teacher leave an outline, etc. how does that work?

2. Does anyone have tips for what to include in a cover letter for being a long term sub? I am contacting a bunch of schools where I have subbed and am having a hard time writing my cover letters.

Thanks! :)

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 23, 2009

In my district, a LTS is paid teacher pay so the expectation is the LTS performs the same duties as a teacher. So that means writing lesson plans, grades, discpline, report cards, conferences and everything else in between :)

I am not sure what you are asking in question #2 - in my district, you don't just apply to be a LTS, there has to be a position available. In your cover letter you should address the LTS position you are applying for and why you would be the best candidate for that position.

4. tsol

tsol Rookie

May 24, 2009

I was a long term sub twice. The teachers for whom I subbed wanted things to be done in a certain way in order for the transition to go smoothly. So they would give me a guideline as to the material they wanted covered and even the activities accompanying the lessons. However, as a rule the long term sub is supposed to do the lesson plans and all the other responsibilities that accompany the position.

I do not know about the second question? The teachers requested me in both of the LTS instances. The schools/teachers for whom you have subbed before are your best bet for a long term position.
    Good luck anyway.

5. subteacher68

subteacher68 Rookie

May 24, 2009

I am finishing up my second LTS assignment for this year. In both cases I did all the lesson plans, interims and report cards. In my district after 10 consecutive days the pay goes up to $104 a day. I loved being in the same classroom every day but it was a lot of work for not a lot of money. I did it in the hopes of getting a full-time job next year.
    I am not sure I understand your second question. If you know of a need for a LTS position you need to contact the principal and the teacher. Both usually have a say in who the LTS is. Good luck!

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 24, 2009

I was a long term sub for two years. It was a sped position and I'm not sped, so I wrote the iep's and a sped person had to go over them with a fine tooth comb and sign off on them.
    The teacher that I was replacing was under investigation, so she didn't leave any plans or scope and sequence. nuttin.

I did negotiate with the super for partial benefits. I didn't want medical, but I needed dental (2 kids in braces at the same time) and I made sure it counted for state teaching experience.