Long Term Sub Questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by txagteach, Sep 14, 2012.

1. txagteach

txagteach Rookie

Sep 14, 2012

What all would you do to prepare a long term sub for your class? I teach 1st and will be gone 6-8 weeks. So far, I have:

-set up a day next week for her to come observe my classroom

-created a sub folder with detailed rules and procedures, extra copies of my roll sheet, extra copies of my conduct marking sheet, our daily schedule, and parent contact information.

-I'll be writing lesson plans from home for the weeks that I am gone (our team co-plans and it's all done online), but I'll be emailing her the materials and things she'll be responsible for gathering while I'm officially away.

Are there things I am missing? Thanks so much!

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 14, 2012

I'd probably add a list of students who may have quirks that she needs to be aware of. For example: Johnny tends to cry in the morning when mom drops him off. Mary needs a lot of reassurance when getting work done. Joeseph needs to be redirected often due to focusing issues.

Other than that, I think you're on the right track. The fact that you're thinking about this in advance shows that you're setting your LTS up for success!

4. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 15, 2012

Sounds good. Could you ensure that she has access to the online planning? That way, she can peruse at her leisure and maybe make contributions herself?

Any IEPs or 504 paperwork should be given to her as well. It doesn't violate confidentiality since she's legally obligated to follow them (I wouldn't do that for a daily or very short-term sub.)

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 15, 2012

I would also give her the name of a specific colleague that she can go to if she has questions about the plans.