Long term sub...need literacy block help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lei286, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Lei286

Lei286 Rookie

Mar 1, 2017

Hi,

So I got hired for a long term sub job for second grade recently....and it's going pretty well. The only problem is getting used to the curriculum programs and the new schedule. One of my main concerns is keeping up with the pace of ALL my students. I'm supposed to give the students independent work while I pull groups over for guided reading. I'm having a hard time coming up with daily quiet work for them to do during this time. Some students are finished with the work I give them (and the work their regular teacher provided me with) within 15 minutes- and it's done correctly! While some of the others are pokey puppies and take the whole time allotted. This work is supposed to take them a few days!

Does anyone have any advice or a system for this kind of situation? I feel like I'm constantly scourging pinterest for anything to keep them busy! I even started an early finishers jar but I don't want to rely on that forever!

Even some suggestions via Teachers pay teachers would be appreciated. I'm willing to spend the money if it's worth my time and aggravation.

Thanks!

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Mar 2, 2017

I use Daily Five. I start my literacy block with a lesson and as students finish they move to their Daily Five station. I have listening to reading (we have RAZ kids so they read books on the computer), read to self with a reading response, work on writing, and word work. I pull students during this time for guided reading groups. The only thing with this is you'd have to really teach them how to do it, which takes time. Check out Reagan Tunstall's Guided Reading Rotation Board. If you need any help please let me know.

vickilyn likes this.
  4. LorixC

LorixC Rookie

Jun 5, 2017

I love using centers and what we really found helpful was using Beestar online for the kids as the reading portion. The students do well with the classical stories and I like how the questions are like standardized tests. Another great component they use on Beestar is grammar so I separate the two sections into separate groups.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 5, 2017

You took the words right out of my mouth! Daily Five was the first thing that popped into my head.