long term sub interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by SportsFanTr, Dec 5, 2005.

1. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Dec 5, 2005

I'm so nervous and excited, I have an interview for a 6th grade position for 2 months as a sub in Social Studies and English. I've never worked with students above 3rd grade, but I'd love to get this position. I have no clue what to expect during the interview at this grade level.

Also, I'm debating what to wear. I have a nice navy blue skirt suit that I could wear with a white collared shirt, but I thought that might be too fancy. I have some skirts and sweaters, but that seemed too casual. Any suggestions at all are appreciated.

Mrs. Hodge

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 6, 2005

I am subbing right now in a high school math class. Not my favorite, but the students are doing OK. Maybe that's because the principal gave the students a warning during morning announcements. He said that the students had been giving substitute teachers a hard time lately - and that would not be tolerated. Really wanted to hear that first thing in the morning!!

Congratulations on getting the interview! Hope it works out for you!

I would probably go for the navy outfit, especially because you are interviewing for students in "older" grades.

Good luck!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 6, 2005

I would also wear the navy blue skirt suit. Don't worry about being over dressed. Always dress a little nicer for an interview than you would to work. Most teachers (especially in elementary) wouldn't wear a suit to school on a regular day, but there's nothing wrong with wearing one for an interview. I have a suit that I wear to interviews that I will probably never wear anywhere else, but it looks very professional...which is what you want when going in for an interview. :)
    I'm working as a long-term sub right now in a fourth grade and love it! I wasn't able to get my own classroom for this year so having 4 months experience in this classroom will definitely look good on my resume for when I'm applying next year. Long-term sub positions are great opportunities...good luck to you!!

5. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Dec 6, 2005

I always try to be dressed up as much as I can. I did one interview where I didn't wear my nice fancy skirt, because of the weather, and I really felt under-dressed. Two days later I did another interview, and I wore my nice skirt, and I got that job.