Long Term Sub: First Day Activity

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by studentteacher3, Jan 9, 2013.

1. studentteacher3

studentteacher3 Rookie

Jan 9, 2013

Hello All:

I am a recent college graduate, and will be taking over a 6/7 grade (lower level) reading and study skills classes as of Monday for the next 12 weeks. I wanted to do something kind of fun on the first day in hopes of getting them excited and more on my side. Does any one have any suggestions of something that I could do?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

3. FlavioSousa

FlavioSousa Rookie

Jan 9, 2013

Many teachers on this forum seem to disapprove of fun activities but I always start my school year with a ride on the local hop on hop off bus. The kids love it and it's a great opportunity to introduce the subject of franchise.

4. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jan 11, 2013

Don't do it. Start the first day exactly as though it were any other day or you'll never reel them back in. Trust me, I've been there.

5. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 11, 2013

I just started a LTS a few weeks ago. I shadowed the teacher for two days, and then the first day I was on my own, dove in head first. (including PT conferences, phone calls home, and a district walk through a week later).

Just start. Especially if the kids are in the middle of a unit/section. And before each and every lesson/project/activity/whatever state the expectations, what is going to happen if they don't follow the expectations. They'll get to know you as you teach them.

And be prepared for the "But Mrs. so and so didn't do that" To which I respond "I'm not Mrs. so and so and we are doing it anyways." and they'll drop it.