Long Term Sub 2nd Grade

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by eeyore330, Jan 5, 2015.

1. eeyore330

eeyore330 Rookie

Jan 5, 2015

I have been subbing since August and I have finally got long term job for 12 weeks in 2nd grade. I went in today to meet the teacher and get some more information. I will be shadowing the next 2 days and then its all me.

I am just asking for some tips for this new adventure. I am a recent graduate (May) and do eventually want a full time job.

Any good tips for me? Questions to ask before the teacher leaves? etc.

It's a small, one school district and I really like this school. I would love to work there so I want to make sure that I do my best.

3. eeyore330

eeyore330 Rookie

Jan 5, 2015

2nd Grade Long Term Sub Tips

I have been subbing since August and I have finally got long term job for 12 weeks in 2nd grade. I went in today to meet the teacher and get some more information. I will be shadowing the next 2 days and then its all me.

I am just asking for some tips for this new adventure. I am a recent graduate (May) and do eventually want a full time job.

Any good tips for me? Questions to ask before the teacher leaves? etc.

It's a small, one school district and I really like this school. I would love to work there so I want to make sure that I do my best.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 5, 2015

Your threads have been merged. A gentle reminder: A to Z forum policy discourages multiple threads on different forums on the same topic at the same time by the same member, on grounds that spreading out the discussion that way makes it harder for everyone to follow.

And here's a pro tip: many veteran A to Z members check for new posts not by going through forums but by using one of the "NEW:" links at the top right of the page, which brings up a list of all threads in which there have been new posts since the last time the member signed in.

5. subteacher8608

subteacher8608 Rookie

Jan 18, 2015

Congratulations on your long-term assignment! It's awesome getting to know the kids on a deeper level and having your own class for a while, too!

I am currently in my second long-term assignment of this school year. We are in third quarter and I'm teaching Kindergarten. Before this, during second quarter, I taught 5th Grade. Prior to both assignments, I had some release time to go in, meet the kids and teacher, and go over routines. I had more opportunities with my 5th Grade class than my Kindergarten class, simply because I was in 5th Grade the whole quarter.

Honestly, you may not even figure out what you need to know (or don't know) until you're on your own. This coming week is my third week in Kindergarten, and I'm still learning. It will be fine. I'm hoping you will be as fortunate, but in both assignments, I've had awesome teammates who are more than willing to help me in any way possible. I do try to lean on them more than I do the regular teacher...both teachers have had a baby, so I really try to limit the e-mails/texts/FB messages to them. (I also think it's cool that both teachers are sisters, too...and they both got me as their maternity sub!)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I have found the above to be true. Remember, too, that it's your class for a while, and you have more freedom than you do during day-to-day subbing. All the best to you! :)