Long term leave and sub plans

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Nov 12, 2019.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 12, 2019

This is purely out of curiosity....
    If you've ever been out long term for a surgery, birth of a child, etc., were you expected to leave detailed sub plans?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 13, 2019

I had to leave on 1 day notice for an emergency FMLA leave (my mother was dying and I went to do home hospice with her -- my Dad was too overwhelmed to handle it.) The district policy was that a teacher going on leave should leave one week's detailed plans for the long term sub, however, there was no way I could do this. Instead, I asked one of my grade-level colleagues to make a copy of her next week's plans and give them to the long-term sub, and I skipped on out the door that very day.

I had a million things to do that day -- close up my house, put a hold on my mail and newspaper, get to the bank, take one of my dogs (a not-yet house-trained puppy) to a colleagues house (she was a saint and kept the puppy for me! I took my older dog, who was trained, with me.) I had to pack (I didn't even do laundry, I took it with me!) It all happened so fast and in such a whirl. Then I jumped in the car and drove the 6 hours straight through to my folks' house.

I had been with my district for about 8 years at that point. They said by policy I had to be back in 10 weeks, however, after the conference call meeting, my wonderful principal said privately "Don't worry about the 10 week rule, stay as long as you need to. I'll take care of it." My district obviously offered more than the required FMLA leave in such circumstances.

I was gone 10 weeks plus Christmas break. Mom died before Christmas, we had the funeral, and then I stayed for the holidays with my Dad, who was now a widower. I didn't want him to be alone for the holidays.

The incredible part of this was when I got back. I saw my name on the School Board docket with "personnel issue" listed, and I wasn't sure why. Obviously, I was a bit concerned.

I called HR and found out the head of HR had put me on the docket for an approval of a "special circumstance leave" that was only offered to long-time employees with a death in their immediate family. My entire 10 week leave was approved as "with pay" and without touching ANY of my accumulated sick leave time. I never missed a pay check, and I still had all my sick leave in tact.

Needless to say, I always felt a certain loyalty to that school district. When I needed them, they were there for me.

otterpop, Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 13, 2019

The school at the time wanted so much, can't recall the exact, so I began prep. The leave sub, who had recently retired after nearly 40 years, flat-out told me she knew what she was doing and I needn't bother.

Not yet sure of upcoming leave, though we have some very specific curriculum so it won't be too difficult, whatever the length.

That said, I raise an eyebrow at too much prep requested. I figure a school ought to hire long term someone who knows what they're doing in such matters. Enough should be there to get the sub going, but after that the sub should have the skills to observe the class and plan from there.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 13, 2019

When I took my long term leave for having my baby, I did leave a week's worth of sub plans (I was supposed to start leave a week before I was scheduled to be induced, baby did end up having other ideas and came the beginning of that week). It ended up being good that I left that week's plans since my long term sub ended up with a death in her family and my class was covered with 3 different subs for 5 days.

Backroads likes this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 13, 2019

What you need to know is what kind of sub they are getting for you. In NJ, a regular sub can take over all teaching duties for up to about a month (20 consecutive days in one classroom). That can be any sub, experienced or not. If that is the case, you are going to want to leave a significant amount of plans. If out for more than a month, one would hope that there will be a fully certified teacher in the classroom, which means that the planning doesn't need to be over kill - they have the skills to compensate.

Backroads likes this.
  7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 13, 2019

When I was the sub myself, I was left with detailed plans once, and another time I was left with a general outline and did my own plans. Both were my certified area.

As a teacher, I knew I was having surgery, and my sub was a retired teacher. I left materials and she taught it how she wanted. Another time I was out unexpectedly with a near fatal allergic reaction and missed 45 days. I wasn’t able to make plans. It was taken care of by colleagues.

8. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Nov 13, 2019

I will have surgery for breast cancer soon. I will leave enough plans to finish my current unit. The planning for the next unit will be up to the sub - with some general guidance from me.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 15, 2019

Two years ago I had shoulder surgery and I was out for 5 weeks. I was told to leave detailed subplans for every single day, for every prep. I was also supposed to make copies for every class for the first week.
    I made plans for 5 weeks + an overall outline of what they could be doing if I stayed longer and I made 3 weeks' worth of copies.
    I don't know what my district policy is, this was probably just our principal, but I didn't care. It was such a rough year due to the pain and due to this inexperienced principal, and the horrible student behavior issues we had, I was just glad to be gone and happily made all those copies.

ecteach likes this.
  10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 16, 2019

We have to have 2 weeks emergency sub plans. I am a bit OCD about having things made ahead of time. I had to take FML and the 2 wk plans really was enough for 3 weeks. A friend just had to go in and organize my wk 3. After that, I did 0 planning.
    I'd find out from HR in case it is different elsewhere, but I do not think they are allowed to call you or expect any other planning out of you once you are on FML. I kept in touch w/ the school weekly, but the office never called me 1x.
    Another few times I was out, the secretary or P called very apologetically in a way that made me think it might be against the union or law to bother me.

11. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 17, 2019

I am so sorry to hear this. I pray they caught it early and you will have a full recovery!

12. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 17, 2019

Sounds like a very stressful time. I am glad you pulled through, and your county sounds awesome!