Long Island Serial Killer

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Soccer Dad, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 15, 2010

So I'm not sure if this is being broadcasted elsewhere, but there's an apparent serial killer on Long Island. Last week, police discovered 4 bodies on the side of a parkway near Jones Beach. Now, they think this may have to do with 2 bodies found in a Riverhead (about 30 minutes away) and New Jersey.

Scary thing is that I live about 12 minutes from the crime scene and was actually just there a few weeks ago on my boat before winterizing it.

A little freaked out!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2010

I read that yesterday on the news. Scary! Have they identified all four bodies yet?

4. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 15, 2010

No, most are badly decomposed already!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2010

Some of the kids at school are a bit freaked out.

My response, in an effort to calm them down a bit, was that more than 4 people have died in the last month from breast cancer, from wrong way drivers on the parkways, from heart disease, and from a host of other issues, yet none of that is on the cover of Newsday.

I'm not downplaying it, just trying to calm a little of the teenage hysteria.

For what it's worth, from what I hear it doesn't sound like they were KILLED at Gilgo-- that's just where the bodies were left.

6. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 15, 2010

I saw an article about it a little while ago. That's really freaky.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 15, 2010

I heard about that on television this morning. I find serial killers scary, but morbidly interesting. How people can do things like that is beyond my comprehension.

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 15, 2010

Just watched three documentaries about H.H. Holmes, Albert Fish, and Aileen. I have to agree, they're freaky but interesting at the same time. I think I read somewhere that there were or are over a dozen 'deranged' serial killers operating throughout the country off and on.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2010

I've always heard that there are as many as 50 active serial killers in the US at any given time. Creepy!

10. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 15, 2010

From one of the articles I read, it sounded like the person(s) is/are targeting people who are older than high school.

Serial killers follow a pattern. They kill similar people (similar in appearance, profession, etc.). They can be rather intelligent.

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 15, 2010

Maybe it was 50. I admit to filing it under U for 'unnecessary to survive'. Lots of my trivia gets jumbled that way.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 15, 2010

This is never a good feeling. Hopefully they catch this person fast!

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2010

Kind of like when you pass an accident, You don't want to look but you just have to.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

I was in college during the Summer of Son of Sam... those were some scary nights.

I remember one night. A bunch of us from work went to the Dublin Pub. We left our cars at the restaurant where we worked, and I drove with Michael and Tricia, who were dating. On the way home we talked about how frightening the whole thing was.

I got into my car, said goodnight and drove home. (A distance of maybe 2 miles.)

As I turned off the main road, I saw a car's headlights behind me. It turned down Tricia's block, as Michael would naturally do.

Then I noticed another car behind me. Fairly close. On a rinky dink road. At 4 am.

Then I made the right onto the next street. He was still there. Close.

Then I made the left onto my block. Still there. Still close.

At that point, I was pretty sure I was going to die. My plan was to pull into the driveway, and check the rearview mirror as I did so. If he was still there, I would duck low, and hit the horn with my hand-- figuring that maybe I could get help. (Idiot that I am, I should have just driven to the police station!!!!!)

Of course, it was Michael. He was trying to be a gentleman and reassure me. (And it was WAY before the days of cell phones, so once he made the decision to follow me, there was no way to let me know.) Let's just say I wasn't reassured!!