Long Island/NYC Teachers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ST13, Sep 25, 2014.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Sep 25, 2014

I know this has been posted thousands of times times but curious to see if anyone has any fresh views.

I'm curious on what strategies teachers in our areas have used as far as the application process goes that lead them to a full time job.

I'm on OLAS, the DOE website and I have emailed private schools individually. I've also emailed/mailed my resume to specific school districts that I see have job openings. I've gotten a few calls and interviews but no job offers.

Is there another website or strategy I am missing? I know the job market is horrible down here and I am definitely considering relocating. I don't want to have to move (mostly because of financial reasons) but if I have to I will do it. It's all just bad timing I guess.

Unfortunately I also know sometimes its more of who you know rather than what you know.

Just wondering for those who are currently teaching what method did you use when applying? I feel like I am covering all the bases (or I am trying to at least) but maybe I am missing something?

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 25, 2014

You should also be sending your resume to schools that DON'T have any openings listed. You never know when they might need a last-minute replacement, etc.

4. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 25, 2014

Mail EVERY school in attention to the principal. Throw in other things too like reference and letters of recommendation.

5. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Sep 28, 2014

You sound just like me, ST13. I'm in the same boat as you. I know this isn't advice, but I'm also curious if I'm missing something.