Long Interview v. Short Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher304, Aug 3, 2011.

1. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 3, 2011

I was just at an interview where the candidate before me was called in right as I got there. She spoke with the committee for 45 minutes. My interview after that only lasted 20 minutes. Anyone ever experience this? Any luck getting a job in that situation?

3. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 3, 2011

Hi...I wouldn't go by the length of the interview. I have had interviews that were extra long where I thought I did really well and would most likely get the job, but didn't. Then, I've had interviews that were really short where I felt like they were trying to rush me out.

I had my last interview on Monday and was hired yesterday to teach Kindergarten. The interview was only 15 minutes and the only reason it was that long is because I had questions to ask and some final statements to make (I think that helped me get the job).

So, all in all, the length of the interview really doesn't mean anything in my opinion.

Im sure you did a great job! ;) Good Luck!

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 3, 2011

It might not mean anything but yes, the length of the interview sometimes matters. I'm going to be brutally honest because I like it when people are honest with me. When they keep you for a while, ask you more and more in depth questions, and start trying to sell you on the school, it can definitely be a sign that they're interested in you. That is not at all to say that you should assume they're not interested in you, though. Maybe the other candidate had them running behind so they had to keep in brief with you. Maybe she asked a ton of questions of them that kept her in there longer. I'm just saying that sometimes it is a sign.

Good luck!

5. joe22k

joe22k Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

I was once told that my answers were short in an interview. That interview was quick and needless to say I did not get the job.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2011

I don't think a short interview is necessarily the best unless there was a very good reason it was short (like you already work at the school so they skip over some questions or something like that). I had a couple short interviews and did not receive call backs. Most of my interviews were around 30-60 minutes. I do think the best interviews are the ones that feel like a conversation and IMO those are generally longer than shorter!

7. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 3, 2011

My most recent interview was one of the shortest I had this year. It lasted about 20 minutes. I stayed for 5 minutes to finish the writing sample and then left. Ten minutes later the P called to offer me the job. You never know. I only tend to ask 2-3 questions in interviews and I know other candidates ask many more. Plus, do you know whether the other interview started on time? Maybe the schedule was off.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 4, 2011

We had an interview a few weeks ago where the P asked the girl to tell a little about herself. TWENTY MINUTES LATER, we started the actual interview. When she was finished with her "synopsis", she asked is there anything else you would like to know? And I WANTED to say... "Your blood type because I know everything else about you!"

I did not say that of course and we liked her fine, but the job ultimately went to a person that had subbed in our school throughout the year and had done a fantastic job of showing her talents.

9. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 4, 2011

Well this time a short interview was not good as I did not get the position.

10. LovelyTee

LovelyTee Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

I had a interview this past Tuesday and it was only 15 minutes long :eek:hmy:. I actually waited around for awhile in the hallway because I wanted to ask the P a question, but he was interviewing the candidate after me. Their interview took about 35 mins. When I got in the car I felt so discouraged. I thought maybe my interview was short because they didn't like me. But, I guess they did like me because I got a call yesterday afternoon and the P offered me the position :)

So I think the length doesn't matter at all. Some people may just ramble on and on while others may get straight to the point and answer the question.

11. r2turtle

r2turtle Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

I am so sorry, Teacher304. :hugs: Praying something comes your way very soon.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 4, 2011

:) Sorry about that Teacher304

13. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Aug 4, 2011

Me too!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2011

Sorry teacher304, but don't worry. You'll get something! In my opinion, a good interview lasts 30-45 minutes.