Long dresses or skirts

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by SandyCastles, Jul 10, 2010.

1. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 10, 2010

For my new job in Abu Dhabi, I have to wear long dresses or skirts to school. I can wear regular clothes out of school, but when I am on school property I have to be covered (no head covering). I am tall, and it is the middle of summer so everything is miniscule. I am having a hard time finding skirts that go down to my feet. I guess some schools are okay with ankle length and some really want them to sweep the floor. I have a tattoo on my ankle, so mine should really go to the floor to cover it up. I have tried Marshalls, TJMaxx, Loft, and Dress Barn in the store and Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic and JCrew online. I found ONE that went to/past my ankles. I never buy skirts- does anyone have any other ideas of places to try? And where I won't spend a fortune?

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 10, 2010

Have you looked at Maxi dresses? I am tall and I got some maxi dresses that sweep the floor- I got mine at JCP on sale like $20 max. I saw one at Kohl's I loved it but I did not try it on, so I am not sure if it was like floor length, but it looked long enough- it was really pricey though. Kohl's has some online for I think $30 right now though. I also got a long floor length brown skirt at Kmart about 2 months ago actually. Peasant skirts should be around somewhere though- sometimes those are floor length. I like those, but IDK where to get them now. Also you could try a thrift store, but that is hit or miss. I would try Kohls clearance or the JCP clearance for long skirts or maxi dresses.

4. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 10, 2010

I didn't think about JCPenney- looks like they may have some that could work.. thanks!

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

I would probably just invest in a sewing machine, find a pattern I love and make a few long skirts in different fabrics. That way you could custom fit it for your height. It's probably a lot cheaper in the long run too. (I got this idea from how my mom used to make our dresses when we were kids. I loved it and my clothes always fit perfect...I'm very tall!) I'm buying a sewing machine this summer to try my hand at clothes making!

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

I agree with the sewing idea! If you can't sew, you could have a couple of skirts made for you and then enjoy putting different shirts with them.
    I did see some skirts at Coldwater Creek though.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 10, 2010

Have you tried Target or Wal-Mart-sometimes I find long skirts there.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 10, 2010

Do you have any second hand or consignment shops near you? We have a Salvation Army and they have a lot of those kinds of skirts. I got one there for a play I was in and it cost me under $10.

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

Penny's and Kohl's have lots of long dresses. :D Summer ones are on sale about this time. Many have small straps, but you can just wear a LS cardigan over them. :D

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2010

You're looking at a lot of good places, just keep looking. I haven't bought a long skirt in quite a while.

How about:

New York & Co - prices are good too
    The Limited
    Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft
    Ross
    Kohl's
    SteinMart
    Banana Republic

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

13. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

Wow! And right now they have 25% off a purchase of $50 or more, which basically for me made my shipping free! I think I may make a good-sized purchase from there soon!

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

Craft shows and things like that often have those "hippie" skirts with the draw strings. They are usually gauze material for summer.

look online for gauze skirts. I am sure they have colors that would work for you. Also, where do the women there shop? I bet there is a place somewhere where Muslim women buy clothing online.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 10, 2010

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

18. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 10, 2010

Wow- thanks everyone! I will be busy the next couple of days checking all of this out!

p.s. I would NEVER have looked at Victoria's Secret... but I kind of like it!

19. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 10, 2010

Also, I did order an abaya online. I know a bunch of people who are going over ordered them. But again, I have no idea how it will fit, and I don't really want to ONLY wear those, and I need clothes for orientation.

I have no idea how to sew, or I definitely would do that. I would love to just pick out all the lightweight fabric in the store and make everything out of it, but really, I would just make a mess.

20. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 10, 2010

Coldwater Creek always has long ones. Look in the outlet. Everything is an additional 25% off this week.

Also, try hannahlise.com They pride themselves on selling long skirts with no slits.

Land's End has a line called necessary knits that has long skirts. Mostly solids, but definitely long.

Hope these help you out.

21. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Jul 10, 2010

Woman Within has long dresses and skirts. This is a site/catalog for plus size but starts at medium/size 10-12. Prices are very reasonable.

22. rovi

rovi Guest

Sep 29, 2010

Been looking for light cotton skirts, and long. Checked hannahlse and maple clothing. Also found the little bazaar - designs are good and exclusive. Does urban outfiller carry any?

23. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2010

Kind of pricey but really good variety of materials and styles, many very long. Basically the short styles are about knee length, the longs are VERY long and you hem it to the length you like.

junees.com