Long distance move with pets

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by myKroom, Jun 16, 2014.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 16, 2014

I'm moving in just over 2 weeks. It'll be a 4-5 hour trip. My little furry babies HATE the car. They can't even stand a 10 minute car ride to the vet! They yowl like it is the death of them...it sounds like dying cows! I've always used a carrier any time we go somewhere and they just don't like it. When I originally moved out here the vet gave a sedative. Yeah...that didn't work!!!!

I'm thinking about letting them out of the carriers when they are in the car. Maybe not being confined will help them calm down. I'm going to take small practice runs this week and see how they do. Has anyone else done this? Any other ideas to get my grumpy, car hating, cats moved?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2014

I did live 11 hours away from my family, which meant I'd go back a few times a year. My cat hated being caged, and I felt it was mean, so I'd let her roam. She always tried to get down by my feet- dangerous! I'd have to shove things under my seat to block her path. I'd still have to knock her away if she'd try to get on my lap. But, for the majority of the ride, she would sleep under the passenger seat. There was so much hair imbeded into the carpet that I didn't allow her to roam once I got a new car. I put her in her carrier which meant I usually had to listen to meowing for 11 hours. I learned to keep treats on hand- cat treats, as well as some of her favorite human food (cheese!) to get her to calm down when it got really bad. My mom kept telling me to let her out, but I felt it was way safer for both of us.

I would definitely do a few trial runs if you want to do that. I tried to acclimate my cat as soon as I got her, but I let her roam then. I should have acclimated her to riding in her carrier in the car.

Or, maybe, take them out for progressively longer 'rides' every day with a special treat at the end.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 16, 2014

Don't let them out of the cage. That will not necessarily make it better. I made that mistake in the past - only to have the cat get sick in the car. If anything is worse than traveling in a car with cats that don't like to travel, it is traveling in a car with cats that don't like to travel and that just threw up! My two cats dislike travel, but I find that they do a little better when they are in the same carrier.

5. live

live Companion

Jun 16, 2014

I'm not sure how your cats would react to this...but what about a seat belt?

You can get a harness and connect it to a seat belt tether.

Might give a bit more openness and freedom, while keeping them (and you!) safe. You can lay a nice blanket down in one of the seats, full of toys/treats, and a slight bit of slack so they can poke around the car. Just a thought!

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 17, 2014

Oh my gosh I have the same issue happening in a month! We are moving 7 hours away and I am NOT looking forward to the meowing!!! We have two cats. One is usually pretty quiet in the car and in general but the other never shuts up. I know she will get the boy going too and it'll be a chorus!

My vet recommended a sedative too...that didn't work?? Great! lol. Although I wasn't ever sold on that idea.

Another question - the vet said they shouldn't eat the morning we leave, I think so they don't have to use the bathroom...but maybe that's off topic a little.

Anyway, I have thought about getting a really BIG carrier, like for a big dog, and putting them both in there....I really just don't know what to do...lol.

I don't want to let mine loose in the car - my female cat would probably run straight for my feet and get us in an accident.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 17, 2014

This is a really great idea, but I think my cats may hate the harness/leash combo more than they hate the carrier! :dizzy:

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2014

I've always let my cat eat and drink before long trips. It has never been an issue. She would be so mad when we got to our destination that she'd go into hiding for a few hours.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2014

I don't think it's a good idea to let the animals roam around the car on a long trip. The danger of them causing a distraction or getting under your feet is just too great.

I think you should try another sedative or something like Rescue Remedy.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2014

The longest I've driven with my cat was the 1 hour, 15 minute drive from my old house to my new one 8 yrs ago. I don't remember him causing too much of a problem in his carrier. I let my pups ride with me whenever they can.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 17, 2014

As a fellow driver on the road, I definitely wouldn't recommend animals roam in the car. First, there is the obvious distraction/obstruction that can cause an accident. Second, if there was an accident, that animal becomes flying debris, which can not only harm the animal, but you or other passengers.

I would sedate them, place them in a carrier, and go for it. I think it is the best option.

12. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Jun 17, 2014

I moved three cats in my car on a 15 hr drive (in fact, due to circumstances beyond my control, they did that drive four times). They each had their own carrier, I didn't let them eat about 12 hrs before that, and they cried for about an hour or two early on but settled down. I did the drive straight through. I tried taking them out for the potty or water, tried treats, too, but they didn't want to leave their carriers and would eventually stop crying.

13. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Jun 17, 2014

In 3 weeks I'll be flying with my cat from Berlin to Chicago. 9 hours! Then we'll be driving 5 more hours to Cincinnati. I read somewhere about a shirt called the thundershirt that you can put on cats or dogs to calm them down. Its reviews on Amazon were impressive enough to make me buy one. It should be here in the next day or two, and I'll test it out by taking her outside in her carrier with it on. She will normally cry nonstop, so I'm also buying earplugs for just about everybody on the airplane. I'll tell you how our test run works.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2014

That's a really good point. Related to that, if you do get into an accident and the animals aren't in carriers, they might run off out of fear. It would feel terrible to know that your furry little loved one was alone in the woods or fields or whatever, possibly injured and definitely scared, and you couldn't find him. :(

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 17, 2014

My cat travels two hours approximately once a month. We put her in a soft carrier that buckles in. She meows some but she is a lot better on the highway.

I wouldn't let her out. I'd be too worried in case of an accident.

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 17, 2014

Do you have them where they can see you while in the carrier? I had the yowling problem until I moved the carrier so they could see me. They were still upset for a bit but calmed down after a while. Also, put in a shirt you just wore or tgeir favorite blanket. The smell of their owner may be a comfort.

I have done both and I would recommend you leave them in the carrier. Even if they are upset, it's safer that way for all concerned.

I put my three babies in a large carrier and that helps too. They aren't miserable alone.

17. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2014

I have the same problem with my cat. I moved last year (luckily not too far away), but is boarding place for when I'm out of town is now about 40 minutes away. He works himself up so much I'm always afraid he's going to hurt himself (bangs his head on the carrier, panting like crazy, in addition to the yowling). I have him in the front seat facing me and if I'm stopped I try to pet him, but that doesn't make any difference. I tried letting him out once and he immediately was crawling in my lap, putting his paws over the steering wheel, and trying to jump down by my feet. It was very dangerous! I have never let him out again.

This would be hard on them, but the only thing I can think to suggest is having family members or friends drive with you (one in your car and one in a car to get back) and then you or your friend can sit with the carrier open and keep the cat calm. My cat is perfectly fine if there are two of us in the car and I just open his carrier and pet him the whole time.

18. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 17, 2014

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. I have tried having the carrier in the front with me, but no luck. I like the idea of 1 larger carrier, however, my kitties are not really friends...they tolerate one another, but one carrier for 4 hours might be too much!

I really just wished the sedative would work...it would make life easier!

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2014

Which sedative did your vet give the pets?

I just flew my dog in cargo from Costa Rica to the USA and it traumatized me way more than her :rolleyes: The problem with her is she's a BARFER. We went to the vet about 30 minutes before we left and the vet gave her a shot of Cerenia. Worked like a dream. She wasn't happy, but she at least wasn't vomiting.

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

A friend of mine had to move across the country with her 2 cats. She tried the trip without the sedative, but they were going crazy. So she gave it to them, and one of her cats had an allergic reaction. She had to find a cat-friendly hotel along the way, and stay the night. If you're going to try the sedative, I would maybe give it to them before-hand so you know how they're going to react, and look for hotels ahead of time, just in case.

We have a holistic/natural pet place in my area. They have tons of different natural options, so maybe look into that? This is what I would do if I had to travel with my kitties. I would probably keep them crated, but maybe in a big dog crate so they would have more room to move.

21. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 18, 2014

I'm not sure what the sedative was, it was 4 years ago when we did this last time. It was a pill though, not a shot. I think a shot might work, but my vet is 30 minutes in the opposite direction and I don't trust him as far as I can throw him! In fact, I haven't been back since our second visit when he gave my cats shots I specifically said no to.

I wish they would just sleep...I like they do at home!!