Long Beach California Mom arrested for son's truancy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yarnwoman, Jun 10, 2011.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 10, 2011

Sorry if this has already been posted. I just saw this on the evening news here in Southern CA.

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_18242792

Her son missed 50 days of school and the school had met with her several times about the truancy.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 10, 2011

Awww. I was hoping for the comments at the bottom from people not in the field. That's always an eye opener. It makes me wonder though with her having problems with her first child prior to this if mom will even care.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 10, 2011

I'm very torn on this. I wonder what grade he was in-it just said middle school. When I was in 9th Grade my best friend got pregnant and started not going to school. I felt sorry for her mom because she was getting fined and everything but she still wouldn't go. She finally made a deal to let her get married and she promised to go every day-ended up dropping out.

I just think sometimes there's only so much a parent can do. It is odd that it happened with the older son as well.

5. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 11, 2011

I wanted to start fining parents when their kids were hanging in the hallway. They are technically trespassing if they belong in a classroom. Worked for a district nearby. But why would we adopt something that works and isn't also loved to all...

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 11, 2011

I wonder why he wasn't going to school & what was happening at all of those meetings! If the problem was the child was Mom asking for help?

I have kinders who miss a lot of school and I'll hear, Mom overslept. The car wasn't working etc.

I just want the kids in school and on time. Is that too much to ask?

7. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jun 11, 2011

It is all so sad....one of my first grade students has been tardy 74 times and absent 31 times this year. We have only been in school for 165 days so far this year : (

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2011

I wonder if a parent can call the police and report if their child does not go to school. If it's an older child, would this prevent the parent from facing legal issues?

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2011

They take parents to court for truancy pretty often, for all grades. And for the older kids, they also file "out of control of school" charges against the child. With that, the student is placed on probation, and he/she must attend school and behave. Otherwise, they are sent to a juvenile detention center.

At one point we also offered parenting classes for the parents of habitual truants. The older kids also had classes.

Sometimes our habitual truants are pulled out to "home school" because the parent is facing jail time.

10. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2011

In the absence of a specific statute, that's a rather dubious application of the law. A judge might go with it if they just want to enforce truancy, but it's iffy. Seems better just to charge them with truancy.

Moreover, usually trespassing is a civil offense, so it would put a lot of the burden of paperwork on the school. It does give them a bit more control, though.

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 11, 2011

In my state, a similar law has been in place for a very long time.

12. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 11, 2011

One of my 8th grade students is suffering the consequences of truancy. In 7th grade, when he was living with his mom, he missed 55 days between January and June of 2010. He came to our school on January of 2011 after his dad got full custody. Dad mentioned that he had been out of school since the beginning of the school year. This student was working really hard and making great progress. Unfortunately, the time he spent out of school caught up with him when he didn't pass the state test required for graduation.

13. The Maestro

The Maestro Rookie

Jun 12, 2011

Nearly every time my school has to have a talk to the parents of a habitually truant kid, the mom comes in wearing pajamas. I can't really tell you why, they just do.

So, if you want to ask Ermila how her kid could have been truant so often but don't know what she looks like, just search for the woman in the pajamas. That'll be her! :haha: