logical thinking/problem solving games

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Jenlovestoteach, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Dec 26, 2007

For those who don't know, I am an enrichment teacher in my building and work with all grade levels throughout the year... When we get back from break I am about to begin working with our 3rd grade and on Friday the teachers left me with the thought that they want to do a 6 week (30 minute sessions once a week) unit on math games/logical problem solving... I have great books of logic puzzles and deductive reasoning that my 4th graders love and they would be a stretch for 3rd grade but doable... I was wondering if anyone has any other resources that you think would be helpful... Is there a teamwork problem solving activity that would be appropriate that could last them 2 or 3 sessions maybe? thanks in advance!!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2008

You could arrange a classroom mystery where students have to work together in teams to solve the case.

For a quick game here or there, you can play What's Behind the Green Glass Door, the camping game, or the line game.

All of the games have the same two rules:
    1. When you figure out the game, you have to join in and give a statement proving that you've figured out the game.
    2. You can't tell anyone else how to play the game. They have to figure it out for themselves.

What's Behind the Green Glass Door is the most difficult of the three games. You make a series of statements which include one thing you can have or do, and one thing you can't have or do. For example:
    You can have a cheeseburger, but you can't have a hamburger.
    You can't take math, but you can take spelling.
    You can see, but you don't have any eyes.
    You can live in Mississippi, but you can't live in Florida.
    You can sleep, but you can't take a nap.
    You can be named Timmy, but you can't be named John.

Basically, kids have to figure out that they can have or do anything with double letters. If it doesn't have double letters, you can't have or do it. It's hard and can take all year to figure out. Might be too hard for the little ones.

The camping game involves each student bringing a particular item on a camping trip. Usually you start out by saying something like: "Hey kids! Did you hear that we're going camping next week? I think I'm going to bring a dolphin. Marcus, what are you going to bring?" Marcus says he's going to bring a sleeping bag. "I'm sorry, Marcus, but you can't bring a sleeping bag. Why don't you bring something else?"

Kids have to figure out that they can only bring things that begin with the same letter that their first name starts with. You can give clues by saying stuff like "Marcus, you can't bring a sleeping bag, but maybe Stephanie wants to bring one."

The line game involves drawing various lines across the room, from one thing to another. It helps to point from one thing to another. The key is that you always say "okay" before drawing the line.
    "Okay, you can draw a line from the TV to the clock."
    "Okay, you can draw a line from this pen to that wall."
    To really throw them off, draw a line between the Statue of Liberty and your house, or something.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 15, 2008