logical consequence? out of ideas. help!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maggie123, Mar 26, 2012.

1. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012

What is an appropriate logical consequence for someone who talks relentlessly and is 5? I've tried sitting them close to me, putting my hand on their shoulder, praising those who aren't talking, praising them when they aren't talking (which isn't very often) asking them to stop , sitting out of the circle away from others, but still part of the group (just talks louder), putting their head down, sitting in time out.(they still carry on in time out), leaving the room. I also have a sticker chart to reward successes. Also a color system (like the traffic light thing). Many parent contacts. I cannot get them to stop being disruptive in my class. It doesn't matter what we are doing. It is a problem with every activity. They just don't care, and they talk back. Sigh.

3. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Mar 26, 2012

Have you tried the whole "do you hear my words?" thing? And have you had them repeat back to you what you said and explain to you what that means? Do you have a co-teacher who you can do a "drama" with illustrating this issue, perhaps. I know that's worked in the past for me, with problems like hitting and tattling. I wish I had more suggestions for you. I hope you find something that works.

4. forkids

forkids Cohort

Mar 27, 2012

Give this student something to do at a table while you have circle time, etc. If he is occupied, at least the others will be able to learn. You will often be surprised at how much of what you are saying a student like this picks up while they are occupied w/something else, and if not they can be doing a learning activity that will benefit them. If you have an assistant, have them supervise this student while you do circle time.
    Another idea is to give them a 'fidget' to occupy them during circle time - this works with some kids, but doesn't with others.
    This is very frustrating, good luck with this student.

5. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Mar 27, 2012

Have you tried yelling?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2012

Not a logical consequence.

This child is taking away from your teaching time and the learning time of thers...a logical consequence would be aking away from his free play/center time.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2012

Can you give them something to hold that you can take away each time the child interrupts? Maybe when they talk at appropriate times they can earn another. Then, each 30 minutes or so, they can turn them in for a reward and start again.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2012

What is he talking about?

Does he talk himself through activities?
    Is he hyper in other forms?

Can you practice with a timer? Start with small increments such as 15 seconds of silence. Of course you have to find a time when other students are occupied to start this process. Reward after small periods of quiet. Work up to larger blocks of time. He needs to feel what times of silence feel like.

If he can't keep silent for even brief periods, it may mean he needs to be evaluated. Do his parents indicate that he is a non-stop talker at home?

9. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Mar 28, 2012

we have had the conversation of what does it mean to be quiet? What does it look like when you are not talking? We wanted to make sure he knew what we were looking for.

I separate him from the group, sitting at either a table or outside of our circle so he can listen from there and won't be a visual distraction to the others. He still talks from there just a little louder so the others can hear him.

He pretty much talks about whatever he wants. Not normally anything about the lesson. He also acts very silly. When we ask him to stop talking, he goes about one second before he starts again. And sometimes just ignores us all together. I'm not really concerned with him not picking up the information, I'm concerned that he is making it so the others are not picking up the information because he causes a constant disruption.

Last year I tried giving my hyper kids a stress ball to squeeze during circle time. It worked for about a day, and then it started flying around the room. He his difficult at home, but the parents make excuses for him. (He's just being 5. The problem is the teacher who is being ridiculous about his behavior ). Our school district does not evaluate in pre-k. He would have to go privately for evaluation.

10. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Mar 29, 2012

Not a consequences, but what about letting the teacher time be more interactive for a short course, and letting a child lead it instead of you, and see if he is trying to get your attention. Tell the talker you would like him to lead on Wednesday (on a Monday) and he has to learn what to do.....

I am just thinking that it sounds like he hasn't bought into the whole classroom/learning time, and may be less likely to disrespect peers, especially if he knows he has a turn soon....

If you don't want to do that, you could talk to him about it and ask him to role play with you to see how frustrating it is...

Good Luck!

11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2012

Federal law requires Child Find Services for all children. Who actually does the evaluation differs. I'm not sure with other states, but the Child Find services are done via our county. I would ask your District Social Worker how Child Find is done for non-school age children.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2012

Yup. They are mandated to test children age 3 and up if formally requested in writing by the parents (assuming you are in the U.S.). The parents could also call First Five or ask their pediatrician.

There is another interesting thread going on about ADHD and the research that is showing the executive functions in their brain are so delayed we are asking them to do things (sit still, focus, listen, be quiet, etc.) which they are not physically able to do because their brain development in those areas may be delayed 3 years. In other words, they keep getting in trouble for things they can't help. For some kids, the constant talking and making noise is how they deal with stress. Just some thoughts....no easy answers.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 30, 2012

I have heard from our community test agent that the 3yr mark is quite right. I have noticed that when I just excuse those that are either too young or are hyper to the back of the circle where they are allowed to build or work on the tasks already located in that section, things settle down. So, "Bobby, I can't compete with you to see who is the teacher. I have the words....but I see that your body needs to move. Please excuse yourself to the block area and build QUIETLY while listening to circle time. When you can sit you can return to the line." It doesn't preclude them from games or answering questions (you would be surprised how much kids hear when they are at the back of the area) but they must be on task. Of course they also are responsible for cleaning it up in the end.

14. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Mar 30, 2012

WA Provider,

I really want to try this but am very scared... I am a HS teacher and my class is VERY difficult this year. I have 20 kids and almost half are receiving some sort of service from behavior, to developmental delays, to ADHD, to one (I suspect) may be on the spectrum. Tantrums run wild in my room, and I have almost eliminated circle... we are down to like 7 minutes. I have read and have heard that what you are doing is most DAP response, but I am not sure how to do it without losing everyone.

BTW our shortened circle time is ok (I usually have 1 under a table or something), our center time is awesome almost everyone is engaged, and our transitions are horrendous...

I believe that what you are doing is the best response but I am scared to do it, do you have any advice?

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 30, 2012

I was thinking the OP had trouble at circle (teacher talking time) however, if transitions are the issue....make them interactive. Don't just get up and wander over, assign them or something...but don't let them know. If I am moving a crew from circle to centers i would perhaps sing my go to transition rhyme song....I am sure others are sick of it....

(skip to my lu)

I've got a new friend, yes I do (x3)
    Can you guess the name?

My friends name rhymes with (enter rhyme) (x3)
    Can you guess the name?

They yell the name, then I could say....where do you choose to go? They shout the answer and are off. When it is full, "oh, sorry, try again". Then the last crew I announce where they go and pretend it is the best choice ever!