Locked trash cans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by daisycakes, Jul 22, 2015.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Jul 22, 2015

I live in a suburb that has tons and tons of services for homeless people (our city recently decided they would even provide them with free medical marijuana). As a result, we are overrun with homeless people and have many community problems relating to their extreme number.

I would estimate 15-20 homeless people go through my apartment's trash each night (only 3 of us live here). We have a separate bin for recyclables that they can take and turn in for 10 cents, but they actually go through the trash as well because, with so many scavengers, it is nearly always empty. Sometimes they do not bother to put the trash back in the can and leave it all over the driveway (to the point where the can and its contents block our cars from leaving in the morning). Sometimes they purposefully pick out "embarrassing" items (like feminine hygiene products or condoms) and decorate a bush with them. Sometimes they get mad by the lack of cans/bottles and throw stuff and scream. Last week, a man found some poop somewhere (not in the trash) and wrote his name, in poop, on our trash can. Last month, a man saw my cat staring at him through the window. He started screaming at my cat and throwing tampons at the window (this was at 4AM and woke me up).

We are fed up. We are thinking about investing in some locked trash bins. However, we are worried that, coming onto the property and finding the bins locked, they will become angry and go nuts. 2 years ago, a man didn't find any cans and took the recyclables bin and smashed in the window of a parked car while we watched him. He screamed obscenities at us through our gate and threw stuff everywhere. However, I hate this logic of catering to them just because they might behave worse. 3 years ago, our neighbors were renovating their vacant property and homeless people moved in and started fires and would fight with construction tools in the middle of the night. They refused to take action against them because they were worried they would be insulted and destroy the property further.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

3. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 23, 2015

From the homeless individuals I have talked to online, they get annoyed at locked garbage cans, but usually move on after encountering one, though it does cause them annoyance. They're people and they are hungry. One of the homeless individuals I talked to online (who, admittedly, was homeless in Alaska, which is quite different from a warm climate) said that some people and restaurants would leave food that was not rotten in plastic bags at the top of their trash, then they and whoever they were with would move on, pleased with getting a little bit of food.

Though your neighbors not taking action against individuals lighting fires (assuming they damaged property) and assaulting each other is rather ridiculous. The homeless individuals who attack each other are the ones who need psychological assistance.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 23, 2015

It's odd to think of homeless people chatting online. A comedienne I watched recently was talking about a homeless man with a Bluetooth.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2015

Has anyone called the police or gone en masse to a town council meeting? As tax payers, you and your neighbors should be very concerned about how the homeless demographics (created in part by the 'tons and tons of services' being provided) affect your safety, health, property values.:2cents:

6. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Jul 23, 2015

Yes, the police do absolutely nothing. For example, when I called about them lighting trash can fires next door, I was told I couldn't prove they didn't have permission from the property owner to be there and they hadn't put up a no trespassing sign.

Our city council is more concerned about what they do in business areas and has made it criminal for them to sleep on sidewalks (though they still do) but do nothing about them taking over the parks and running amuck elsewhere.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 23, 2015

Good grief! I'd move!

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 23, 2015

Wow. What a difficult situation to be in! If you complain, you risk looking like the a-hole who doesn't care about homeless people, but if you do complain either no one listens or says there is nothing that can be done. I wish I had some helpful advice, but I think I would start by putting up signs and getting the locked trash cans. If property destruction does happen, at least you have proof and a leg to stand on then.