Location Next Year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MusicTeach2, Aug 14, 2010.

1. MusicTeach2

MusicTeach2 New Member

Aug 14, 2010

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I've been reading the boards alot and now have my first situation to ask for help on.

Last year was my first year teaching music full time at the middle school level (right out of college)--I loved it I worked with such great students. Unfortunately, near the end of the school year I was informed that due to budget cuts my position was being cut to a .6 (3 classes a day instead of 5). Very sad news, but I was still happy to be employed at all.

I was informed the other day that an elementary music teacher in my district had accepted a retirement incentive and will not be back in September. The school called and told me that I had two options.
    1.) Join the elementary school full time
    2.) Teach at the elementary school in the morning and teach the 3 middle school classes I was scheduled to teach
    -----Both options I would be a full time teacher!!!

I have been going back and forth on which option to take. Part of me wants to go back to the middle school because I know alot of the kids from last year and have made friends with the faculty. The other part says that it would be really annoying to travel during the day (10 min drive) and I wouldn't really feel part of any faculty if I was always coming and going.

Any advice on helping me make the decision (I have until Monday) would be great! Thanks.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2010

:welcome: Nice to have you here.
    I can speak for the transient teachers in my school (elementary). The ones that travel to different schools would much rather be assigned to one school. Like you suggested, they feel that they belong to that faculty; they aren't spending too much time and gas traveling; and they feel that they have more respect from the other teachers (perhaps because they get to know them better?)

4. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

My first year of teaching I had to travel between two schools. It was awful!! I didn't really get to know anyone, and both schools had vastly different types of principals. It was just a very difficult situation. I was so glad when I was able to teach in just one school.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

I would take the elementary. When I student taught we had to drive back and forth (more than once a day) to the junior high and high school. Luckily they were only about 1 minute apart, but it did make my cooperating teacher have a very short lunch period. I did feel, even through student teaching, that we weren't really a part of the junior high faculty. Part of that could have been not having a lunch period in that school-I didn't get a chance to talk to other teachers.

It would also make it more difficult to plan programs when you're at two different schools.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

Our music teacher had been split for several years between two schools, and she really didn't like it. She had programs she wanted to put on around certain holidays and an after school chorus to develop which made it very difficult to plan.

Good luck with your decision.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

Yes-I'm really thinking of Christmas when you usually will put on winter concerts. You would have to have one at each school or choose a school to be left out. I think that would be tough!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2010

Either way, you're abiding by the contract you agreed to last spring.

Given the options, I would go for being a full time faculty member of one school, as opposed to being part of two.

Take the elementary job.

9. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

TAKE THE ELEMENTARY POSITION.
    I have been split b/n buildings and it is hard to get to know staff and students. Plus, unless the rooms are fully stocked, you will spend a lot of money for supplies for 2 classrooms instead of just 1.

10. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

For 2 years I had to change classrooms in the same building and I hated it. I couldn't imagine changing schools. I personally would choose the elementary position.