Load off my chest

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by erudite, May 4, 2010.

1. erudite

erudite Rookie

May 4, 2010

Hi all, I just wanted to share my story as I love to read about others on this thread.....

Previously written, I went to a job fair few weeks ago and was on the spot hired. Monday-Wednesday rolled around my references was called. I did not hear anything back from the school. Friday, my nerves were high, and I finally called the hiring principal. During this time, I really felt nothing ever come that easy. My instincts were right. The principal said that the position offered, might be given to someone else with more experience, and bring me to a different school to be interviewed. So I cried my eyes out after the chat. I knew if I went to interview for a different school, different principal, there's a high chance I won't be hired. My background that made me stand out was I am bilingual certified, if they bring me to interview for a reg. ed. position I won't stand out because also I am a new graduate. The principal did say shoot him an e-mail about our conversation so he can refresh his memory on Monday.

I did, I e-mailed him stating I am interested in both position. The next day, I realized that I really want that bilingual position. So I wrote out another e-mail about my passion for that position. Seriously, I poured my heart into this e-mail (in a short and concise way). At his point, I don't care about "just landing a job" I feel so passionate about this other position. I just thought, I can't say I did not try, if he still feel that it's not the position for me then let it be so.

I waited till today to call him back. He said he talked with the other principal and do for sure that the bilingual position is mine. Now I am just waiting for HR to call.

I remember my university supervisor's advice, put your heart into it. I really did! I hope you learn from my story, if you have a passion in it then fight to get it.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 4, 2010

Well congrats! What does this position entail?

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 4, 2010

Yeah!

5. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

May 4, 2010

congrats and you are right - don't just take anything and look at what it got you!!! good luck to you!

6. erudite

erudite Rookie

May 4, 2010

My position is for Bilingual Pre-K in TX

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 4, 2010

Congratulations on the job, erudite! :thumb:

Expressing your passion and qualifications for a position is always a good thing. That was one of the main points one of my job counselors emphasized when I was looking for a job several years ago.

She also had a job in the local school system and got that job by doing the same thing. After the "regular" part of the interview was over, she was asked if she had anything else to add or any questions to ask. She thought for a minute and said "Yes, I KNOW I am the right person for this job. I have all the skills and experience you're looking for and my passion for this position will help me do the job better than the other applicants." She got the job.

Sometimes it's a matter of showing the interviewer YOU want the job more than the other people and will bring as much - or more - to the job if you're hired.

8. erudite

erudite Rookie

May 4, 2010

Right I agree, sometimes bringing up all the "hot" words is not enough, you need to put your heart in it as well.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 4, 2010

Wow, but that was inspirational to me! I guess sometimes you just have to fight for it.

10. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 4, 2010

Congrats!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 4, 2010

Congratulations!

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 5, 2010

You rock. It will be a great year. Just be careful. Some four year olds bite.:p:eek::lol: They do. Been there - done that. No laughing. I had to get a tetanus shot one year...;)