LMS Junkies (Learning Management System) - I need your help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Dec 16, 2008

Moodle, ming, edublog, diigo, the list goes on and on. How in the world do I know which one to choose? I believe this is one of the biggest weaknesses of my teaching right now- the fact that I don't have any online, outside-of-class, continuation-of-learning type stuff. And I'm not a dummy for online things either- so I need to get busy on this stuff!

If any of you have ANY experience whatsoever with any of the aforementioned programs (or others for that matter) I would greatly appreciate it. There's just so much out there (do a google search for LMS and you get millions of hits) that I don't know where to start.

I would like a blog that allows pictures, assignments to be posted, and podcasting. If you can direct me to a program that is stylish, easy to use, and allows me to have pictures/podcasts/assignment postings, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!!

3. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 16, 2008

I'd start by checking which ones your school can handle. Moodle requires space on a server, so in my school its a non-option.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 17, 2008

I've been using edublogs.org for about a year and a half. You can post easily, house documents, add forums, link to podcasts. If you want to see my site go to http://readerswriters.edublogs.org There is a link to podcasts. I don't think I have a forum up on this one ... but I've messed with them on another edublog site. The best thing about edublogs is their support forum (great responses there, great community of problem solvers).

Honestly, I might be moving away from my website (i've been doing less and less posting there) to something like Edmodo (free) or SayWire (cheap). Look at http://www-writing.berkeley.edu/tesl-ej/ej26/m2.html I found a free one (not listed here) that I shared with a colleague and she uses it all the time. I can't remember the name of it, but I'll try to think of it. She is very happy with it.

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2008

I use Moodle that I pay to have hosted. I use SiteGround and they are $9.95 a month. I also have a blog on that site. I have been happy with their service. I did a paid service instead of a free one because of the amount of materials that I store on the site. I also like Moodle because I am able to do homework and quizzes on it electronically.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 17, 2008

I've heard of Moodle, but not very much. chemteach55, how is SiteGround involved - is that a Web site hosting service, and then Moodle works something like having a hosted Web site? Do you know whether it has to be a separate site, or could one run components on an existing domain?

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2008

Site Ground is the web hosting service that I use. Moodle is like Blackboard. It is a course management system. Moodle itself is free but you do have to have a domain to host it. You can do it on an existing domain. Moodle is great--you can have online assignments and it grades it for you.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 17, 2008

Interesting... does Moodle itself cost anything?

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 17, 2008

Moodle has no cost.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 17, 2008

(Gears begin whirring in TG's cranium.)