LLD and self contained advice

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by akahn, Jun 15, 2012.

1. akahn

akahn Rookie

Jun 15, 2012

Hi All!

I am new to this forum and am looking for some advice from fellow special education teachers out there! For the past 5 years I have been an in-class support and resource room study skills teacher for 6th graders. I have been given the opportunity in my district to start a brand new self-contained Language Learning Disabled class in my middle school next year. This class will have students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades with varying ability levels. All students I will have are verbal and three students have already been in our mainstream special ed program at the middle school.

I am looking for some tips on developing the math, science, social studies, and language arts curriculums for my students. What resources/materials do you find helpful? What supplies are a MUST to order for my room? How do you structure multi-grade/multi-level math and language arts instructions? I know that I will have an hour and 50 minute block of time in the morning and another hour and 50 minutes in the afternoon. I am so lucky that an aide will be with me during both blocks of academic time. I want to make sure that I am making the most of my blocks of instruction time, so does anyone have any tips for set up?

Thanks so much for any advice you might have!!

-Ari

3. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012

I am in the same boat!