Living v.s. Non-living

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by b2teach, Oct 15, 2007.

1. b2teach

b2teach Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

Hi, so I'm teaching a science lesson on living v.s. non-living using a lima bean in a zip lock bag. I was wondering if anyone had any great ideas as to how I could break this down in a simple way to my 1st graders. I'm having trouble with the intro to the lesson.:( I;m scared and don't want to confuse them by going into the plant unit.

3. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Oct 15, 2007

Hmmm. Well, we just finished our living and non-living unit and I based it around our farm theme. We don't do plants until spring. Sorry not much help!

4. Victoriateacher

Victoriateacher Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

I'm doing a plant unit right now and for my intro lesson I kept it really simple. We brainstormed things that were living first. The kids came up with a whole list and I wrote down their ideas on chart paper. I flipped over my chart paper and there were pictures of all the basic characteristics of living things and they had to tell me what they were (eat, drink, breathe, grow). We practised reading the words and then I had children use pointers in front of the rest of the class to "be the teacher" and practise.

Then I took out two sentence strips; one that said living things and another that said non-living things. I used two hoola hoops on the carpet and we sorted real objects into the hoops (this was to warm them up to the venn diagram concept). Each kid got an object they had to place in the correct hoop. For the living things I had brought in three plants and we also used the baby doll from our house centre. After the concrete objects I had them sort picture cards into the hoops. They were quite engaged with this activity.

Their independent work was to cut out pictures of a bunch of living and non-living things and then glue them onto a T-chart (on a separate page) under the appropriate heading.

Hope that helps! We are doing the lima bean baggie experiment this week too, when I focus on roots.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 15, 2007

We don't do the lima bean experiment until the plant unit.

Another fun activity to do with brainstorming living and nonliving things is to simply go outside. They split up into groups and take their clipboards with them and write stuff down. Then each group brings their list up front. If it didn't go on someone else's poster already, they tell us their item, what they decided it belonged to and we vote if they are correct or not. Then they write it on their poster board. It's kinda like boggle. Whatever every group has doesn't count (except once in the first group that mentions it). Then we display the posters. It's also kinda neat to see what they write down for words they don't know like "statute" becomes rock man. HAHAHAHA!

6. b2teach

b2teach Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

Thanks for all of ur wonderful ideas.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2007

Victoria, that sounds like a great lesson!!