Living closer to the school you work at (Increase job satisfaction?)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rodge88, May 2, 2017.

1. Rodge88

Rodge88 Rookie

May 2, 2017

I remember my Credential Program leader saying whenever a teacher came to him that was unhappy with their job he recommended them to move to a school closer to where they lived and it helped a lot.

I am not unhappy with my job, but am tired of my current commute. I know in the scheme of things it isn't too bad at about 25 minutes. But I actually live right next to a couple of middle schools that I could potentially walk to in our district instead.

I wonder do I stay at the high school I work at and like, or move to one of the middle schools that I may not like as much (I say this not having any middle school experience and fear of the unknown). [Note: I don't want to change my personal residence. So moving closer to my current job is not an option.]

Does anyone else have a short or walkable commute that can share if that has had any noticeable impact on their job satisfaction?

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 2, 2017

I drove an hour each way to work at a great school. I currently have a commute of less than a mile for a school that isn't bad, but isn't that great either.

I'd commute a short way (like yours) to work at a school I liked and for a prep I preferred.

4. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 3, 2017

I'd personally commute further for a school I really enjoy teaching in than closer to a school I didn't enjoy teaching in. However, the extra hour or half hour you can sleep in or the extra time you have with family in the evenings sometimes makes a huge difference to your mindset and outlook, especially on those long hard days.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 3, 2017

A bad job is a bad job, no matter how close or far it is.

That being said, if you're choosing between close or far GOOD jobs, commute makes a huge difference. For the first time ever, I'm not commuting 60 minutes to work. I drive 15 minutes. I have more time to play with the dog, make actual breakfast, do some laundry, etc. In the afternoons, I can technically be home by 3:30 if I leave right away. I didn't even know what to do with myself when I first tried that, because I was used to staying late and getting home at 6/7 with traffic.

SageScience, Backroads and Caesar753 like this.
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 3, 2017

There are administrators I would not work for/with again, even if I lived next door to the school; there are also administrators I would drive up to 45 minutes to work for again.

AmyMyNamey and Caesar753 like this.
  7. JVDuffy

JVDuffy New Member

May 3, 2017

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 3, 2017

I drive 128 miles round trip. It's wear-and-tear on my body and vehicle. The job isn't bad. Pretty laid back atmosphere.... I'm currently looking for closer jobs. My first teaching job was a round trip of 50 miles. Did that for 3 years until non-renew.

9. JVDuffy

JVDuffy New Member

May 3, 2017

My first 7 years of teaching I had a 30 minute commute one-way. I liked the school and the staff. However, when I was offered a job only a block and a half away from my house, and my eldest was turning 4, I elected to teach closer to home.
    I have never regretted it. I made new friends, found several incredible teams to work with and my community was my inspiration and shelter.
    I taught at my new school for 18 years and, although there were some rough years with a new administrator every year, my team and colleagues supported each other and kept everyone's spirits up.
    You can always find friends, your administration changes, but the extra hour or two you gain every day by working closer to home is invaluable to your mental and physical health.
    Hope you find success no matter what you choose!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 3, 2017

I used to live like 5 minutes away from my school, and I loved that. Once I started to feel unhappy at the school, though, even a short commute wasn't reason enough to stay. I ended up switching to a school about 30 minutes away. I don't love the extra time in the car, but I do love the school.

mrsf70 likes this.
  11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 3, 2017

Truer words have never been spoken!!!

12. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

May 3, 2017

Depends on how you like where you are. I work 45 mins from home and when I got hired I told myself I'd do a year and find something closer... at this point I LOVE my co-workers and wouldn't choose to leave. I don't love the commute, but I love my co-workers and after a terrible experience with staff last year--- the commute is WAY better than a crummy work environment.

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 3, 2017

My current commute is 10 minutes to a school I quite like. Yes, it's nice. It also means I can even run home or to the daycare during my prep should necessity require it.

That being said, I agree a commute isn't everything. But if you're unhappy in your current situation, there's nothing wrong with giving a closer commute a shot.

14. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

May 8, 2017

I'm five minutes away from work, one of the significant advantages I have with my job.

15. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

May 10, 2017

I worked 5 minutes from home for almost 9 years. The environment was toxic due to poor administration, but my own kids were young, and it was the best solution for me at the time. About 3 1/2 years ago, I made the move to a larger district about 25 minutes away. I love my school, the staff, and my administration! Every situation is unique to each person. You must choose the best fit for you.

16. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

May 10, 2017

this is true. IMO, one other factor I would consider is not how LONG the commute is but rather what TYPE of commute it is. For instance,I have a pleasant 30 minute commute down a rural highway with no lights, stop signs, etc. I can add 5 minutes or so if I choose to take back roads, some of which are rather scenic (and I will often choose to do so). This time is used to gather my thoughts, listen to music and either plan on the way in or decompress on the way home. When I walk in my front door, school is behind me for the day. In short, the drive is a pleasant part of my day.

OTOH, if it was 30 minutes of inching thru bumper to bumper traffic on an interstate somewhere or crawling from light to light to travel only 4-5 miles from my doorstep, my opinion would be different . I DO NOT enjoy that and would consider it to be a major negative to be avoided at almost any cost.

17. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

May 10, 2017

I think 30 minutes is a perfect commute. I listen to music and get my mind ready for the day, and then decompress on my way home. I was driving an hour plus every morning and afternoon on a busy interstate when I first started at my teaching job until I moved closer. I dreaded it. (But the job is fantastic so it was all worth it in the end)

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 10, 2017

I have an hour commute each way and am more than ready to work closer to home. I think having 2 extra hours in my day would make a huge difference in my life. Unfortunately, the division I live in is highly competitive and they don't hire external candidates for full year contracts. I'd have to quit my current job and sub for a few years, which is not an option financially.

If you really would like to work closer to home, it's worth exploring.

19. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

May 10, 2017

Commute is a big one for me right now, as I have three young kids at home. I consider myself to be extremely lucky because I live just around the corner from work, and I bike there every day. We're a one-car family, so if I had found a job with a commute that would have meant we'd have to buy another car. So the short commute is good for my sanity AND our finances.