Living Close to Students

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Furthuron, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

Aug 8, 2012

I just got hired at the middle school around the corner, and found out today that a good number of my future 7th graders will be the kids living on my street/close surrounding area. I don't live in the best neighborhood, and I'm a little leery of my students knowing where I live.

Any tips or pointers? I'm sure they've seen me out and about walking my dog, running, and riding my bike. I also ride my bike to school, and it will be in my classroom, so they'll definitely know it's me if I continue to make that my way of transportation.

Is it typical for MS kids to mess with their teachers' houses? If so, what should I do to prevent this?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

We have a few teachers who live in the school neighbourhood. They are especially careful about making sure the blinds are closed at night and don't go out in the front in their bathing suits, but other than that, they are very comfortable about being in the neighbourhood.

4. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

I live in the neighborhood with some of my students. I'm not fond of it but it's not too bad. Try to avoid identifying where you live. If they figure out the neighborhood don't give your house number! When they find out I'm in their "hood" they always try to figure out which house is mine. I had a student actually figure it out by seeing my husband driving the car and then looking for the house that car was parked at. When she announced my house number to the class I denied, denied, denied. Then quickly change the subject. I do not live in the best neighborhood either so I cringe at the thought of one of the students in the neighborhood. Thankfully my neighborhood is zoned for another school but since its only 3 miles from the school I teach at, we have a few students that go to our school from my neighborhood by school choice. So it's not an abundance of students but some. I do worry about if I will have an egged house or car someday but I try not to fret over it.

Just watch what you do or say outside. I try not to hang out in my front yard too much. We prefer the back yard anyway. Keep the blinds closed etc.

Funny story- ( now but not at the time). My neighbor had a "barbershop" in his garage (that should tell you something right there! Lol) and cars would line up on the side of the road to park. Well this was a couple of weekends in a row and I became very annoyed. While in my yard picking up limbs from the storm the night before I was talking loudly to my husband about people parking in front of the house (yes I was being sassy) and I dropped a few cuss words. Well the next thing I know is I heard "hey Mrs. hwilson". I literally froze out of fear. One of those cars sitting there had one of my students sitting in it. Who heard EVERYTHING. To make it worse, mom works in our cafeteria. I was mortified! Needless to sayi learned my lesson. :lol:

Lesson- be careful what you say or do bc they can be anywhere you aren't expecting.

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 8, 2012

Last year, we lived in town where I teach, so a lot of kids knew where I lived. They would say they saw me checking my mail or mowing my lawn or whatever. I tried to look decent when I went out, and kept my door locked, but other than that there was no trouble.

Now we live 20 miles out, in a rural area, but our closest neighbor has a son that goes to my school. He's not in any of my classes but I have given him a ride before. It's a little strange because he knows everything we do (nothing inappropriate) but it's not a huge deal.

6. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Aug 8, 2012

There does seem to be something about teaching nearby. Although I am not a teacher yet, my Career Switcher program requires, naturally, that I spend time in the classroom over the next couple of months. There is a high school and middle school literally within 1/2 a mile from my house; nevertheless, I am considering a high school in the next town over when I begin looking at internships since the children in my neighborhood would not be attending that school. There just seems to me to be a line, and I think traveling 5 miles more or so is a better choice.

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 8, 2012

There are several teachers who live in the town where I teach, and I have never heard of them having any issues with students. I know my Assistant Principal had a humorous encounter with some students in front of his house a few years ago, but they didn't cause any trouble. (They were visiting a friend on his street when he came home one night. When they saw him pull into the driveway, they went up to him and told him that they thought he was out a little too late. He laughed, told them to go away, and that was the end of it. :lol:)

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2012

They're way more afraid of you than you are of them. Lots of my kids know where I live.

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 8, 2012

I live in an area where most of my students know where I live. I don't make a secret of it. Several other educators also live in the immediate area. It usually isn't a problem, but things can come up. However, I have found that any problems usually stem from individual students and not from the general student body. When you live in the community in which you teach, you just need to be a little more aware of the surroundings and of who might cause problems.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 9, 2012

I lived close to my Geometry teacher when I was in High School. Granted this was a fairly well off neighborhood, but I think the way he dealt with it was a good idea.

He basically passed it off as no big deal and would greet me if he saw me in the neighborhood, and even make jokes in class about how I should come and mow his lawn.

Basically treat it as an opportunity to be a part of the community that your students live in rather than be afraid of retribution, be good neighbors with their parents, and greet the kids when you see them. Students are less likely to target the house of a teacher they don't like if they know that the teacher knows their parents personally, and lives down the street from them.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

I have lived in the same small town where I work for my whole career. Never an issue. Ever.

There is only one school district for my whole county. I'm one of only two people who teach my subject and grade. This is my 20th year. If they've got kids, there's a 50% chance I've had them or will have them.

For the most part, they ignore me or interact like any other neighbor. I don't do anything different. I go about my business. I get the mail in my pajamas and mow my yard in ratty clothes.

12. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Aug 9, 2012

I don't think it would be an issue...I tried transferring to a school closer to where I live, and I've seen kids with shirts on in my neighborhood and at the gym as well. I always get a kick the few times I've seen kids I know out in public

13. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

I don't live in the immediate area where I teach, but I'm fairly involved with the community. I'm constantly on the go, so I'm everywhere it seems. I know some parents and kids from my school personally through church and my gym. I sometimes will run into students if I'm at the gas station or Walmart closest to the school. The looks of surprise on their faces when you see them outside of school can be amusing.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2012

I used to live in a neighborhood with a lot of my students. They left notes and cookies in my mailbox. One kid even cat-sat for me while I was on vacation. The most "messing around" I got was a forked yard... I actually thought it was pretty funny and clever of them - got to play a trick on Teacher without a huge mess. Kids have to be kids :)

Actually, one Halloween one of my students - not from the neighborhood - was trick-or-treating with his friends. He didn't realize it was my house... when he saw me, he turned around and tried to escape, but the screen door stuck and he couldn't get off the porch! It was hysterical - and he was so embarrassed. And I gave him extra candy for the pain of having to see me outside of school.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 9, 2012

I was born & raised in the town I teach & live in.

I see students and parents everywhere: driving down the street, going to the mall/grocery store/Target, etc.

It has never been a problem for me. The kids love seeing me out and about (I actually enjoy seeing them, too)!

16. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

Aug 9, 2012

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! Because I live in a small town and am active in the community, I am always careful what I say when out and about (even in my own backyard), so that shouldn't be a problem. I didn't think about Halloween, which is when I will probably see them, but I'll deal with it if it happens.

I feel a lot better now than I did. I think I'm a relatively well-liked/respected teacher, so hopefully they'll know that if they mess with Mrs. S, they'll be in big time trouble! :)

17. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

Aug 9, 2012

If they ask where I live (which I've found students often do), I'll just do what I've done in the past and be vague. Saying, "I live over by Costco/the high school" can mean one of many different neighborhoods in this size town.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

Oh, the kids I teach know which public schools my kids attend and which Parish we belong to.

And sometimes it really doesn't matter. I was in Epcot on Monday and ran into someone I taught in 1987. As a teacher, you pretty much need to assume that you'll see former students everywhere.