Living and Nonliving

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heartofateacher, Sep 1, 2007.

1. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Sep 1, 2007

Anyone have any ENGAGING living and nonliving activities...preferably hands on...

TIA,
    TW

3. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Sep 1, 2007

No, I will be interested to see what other people say. We teach this in Kindergarten and the lessons in the science kit are horrible!

4. pamms

pamms Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

A good project might be to make terrariums. You can make a class one or individual ones. I've seen them made with 2 liter soda bottles. Then you can put earthworms, plants, dirt, rocks, litter, compost...if it's a big one, even a frog, or other class pet that might do well in that environment. Then have the kids draw a picture of the Terr. labeling living/non-living, then document changes as they happen week to week (drawing or journaling changes). This will also cover cycles, life in a closed environment, etc

5. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Sep 2, 2007

Last year, when I taught living, non-living, and once living, I put together paper bags filled with objects that the children had to identify as living, non-living, or once living. For instance, I put a leaf, a rock, plastic spiders/bugs (to represent living things), pencil, a turtle shell, or anything else that you could think of. Then, in groups, the students would pull each item out and discuss whether it was living, non-living, or once living.