Living and Nonliving Activities

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by heartofateacher, Sep 1, 2007.

1. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Sep 1, 2007

Anyone have any ENGAGING living and nonliving activities...preferably hands on...

TIA,
    TW

3. mrsmuggins

mrsmuggins Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

How about a walk outside? Kids can take paper and make a column for each on their paper. I have clipboards for these activities and they love it.

4. heartofateacher

Sep 1, 2007

That's easy enough. I can definitely do that. :) Thanx

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 1, 2007

We've done the clipboard thing. In fact, it is a great vocabulary/language tool for us. We have them write the two column headings and then break up into two groups and go find as many of each they can find around campus and write them down. They will often ask for the spelling and we have them ask their peers. Then we go back and compare (like boggle) and see what's unique and discuss qualities (and check to see if they put them in the right columns).

We also show a short power point and then make our own food chain mobile. We've had a pet toad in the past and we research facts, make predictions then watch him eat and make observations (same with the rabbit we had). We do a research unit on a zoo animal, learn some mapping skills then go to the zoo and find the animal and have our pictures taken with the presenter and corresponding animal. Living and Nonliving Tic-Tac-Toe. Posters cutting up magazines and putting them in two columns. We do a whole plant unit as well with fruits/veggies catorization as well as root, stem, leaf or seed type of fruit/veggie plant. (ie, carrots are roots).

6. heartofateacher

Sep 3, 2007

Thank you!

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 3, 2007

We also do some experiments to note and compare the properties of different metals and then of different woods. I couldn't tell you more about those since they aren't my lessons and I don't remember much. Just pointing them out to give you more ideas!

8. map

map Companion

Sep 5, 2007

I took index cards and wrote a word and added the picture (enough for the entire class to have one turn). Then I took sentence strips and titled one Living, Non living and once living. I put magnetic strips on the back so we could put them on the chalk board. Then as a class we sorted the cards into the three groups. I found pictures in old magazine and the computer.