Little notice of change creates BIG stress for teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by newoldteacher, Oct 26, 2009.

1. newoldteacher

newoldteacher Companion

Oct 26, 2009

Our faculty works well together.....HOWEVER, admin. seems to have forgotten how life is in the classroom. Assemblies are "announced" without proper notice. Dates are changed for all sorts of school events, with little notice. Guess who the parents come to with their questions, stress, anger?? NOT the admin., for sure.

If I ruled the world, ADMIN would have to serve a year's classroom duty every three years. It would make so much sense...to keep them grounded in what teachers actually face/do/juggle during a "routine" class day. Quit telling me about when you "were in the classroom"!! For Heaven's Sake! That had to be 10-15 years ago...at my best estimate. I don't give a hoot about what you did with you kids WAY BACK THEN! Different type of kids, different classroom demands, NO WAY to level those playing fields. ADMIN should be IN THE CLASSROOM as a TEACHER once every THREE years!:|

3. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Oct 26, 2009

Our Director of Curriculum and Instruction has NO teaching experience nor any teaching education. NONE. She doesn't know the students, and she barely knows the teachers. Yet she makes decisions that affect us all.

For example, we're taking a Benchmark test tomorrow. It was supposed to be in November, but she decided to switch it. When did the teachers find out? This afternoon, at about 2:30.

4. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Oct 26, 2009

Good post!!

5. newoldteacher

newoldteacher Companion

Oct 26, 2009

Yes!!! WE always have BENCHMARK tests that "surprise" us!!

Sure, we're given a "schedule", but that never works!:p

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2009

I agree! My admin (who is pretty reasonable most of the time) was a speech teacher and (while I'm sure they have plenty of stress) has no clue what it's like in the classroom!! She hasn't been "in the classroom" for years!

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 26, 2009

Today my P suggested that the infirmary give a workshop to all students on proper hand washing on Friday because it was a half day after all. Does anybody realize this week is HALLOWEEN?! We have a PARTY. Not to mention half days really usually are taken up with stuff. It's bad enough I have to leave most of the pumpkin activities to a sub because I'm scheduled to go to a workshop this week.

8. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Oct 26, 2009

I agree with this. You can rule for a while :)

9. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 26, 2009

My favorite was when an admin came in mid-morning and asked me if I'd seen the email she sent regarding a schedule change.. um, I TEACHER five-year-olds. Do you THINK I have time to put my feet up and read email?

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 26, 2009

Our secretary sends stuff to my work email, my home email (because I used to have that on my pager but it is broken and she doesn't realize it) and she'll stop by. She knows she can't depend on me reading my email during the day.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2009

EVERYONE in my building, aside from the secretarial, maintenence and cafeteria staffs, teaches.

That means the principal, the president the AP, the director of guidance...everyone. And they don't always get the plum courses either; last year the principal had a freshman religion class.

I think it's wonderful.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2009

Oh, I definitely second the idea of admin working for a year in the classrooms. Oh, yes! Please, yes! Please, please, yes!

I'd love to interrupt his day with stupid little announcements, and stand at the back of the classroom and stare, and search for differentiation and standards and essential questions and assessments for lesson plans, and ask why you didn't read your e-mail yet, and tell you not to leave your kids for a second even if you do have to wee-wee. And make sure your kids walk silently down the hall, but be absolutely on time for everything so don't stop them if they are talking, and plan meetings for your planning time, and expect you to come to every single blasted after school event even though you're not required but it is encouraged. And dont forget to have updated portfolios for all your students and post commentaries that mean something on all work and change the bulletin board a bit more frequently and report to bus duty at exactly 7:10 and not a second later or you will be written up (I was. First time late in 23 years. Late by two minutes. Roads are washed away in the flood and must go way out of my way. But written up anyway.) And teach until the last bell, but send chorus kids 10 minutes early, and hall patrol kids 5 minutes early, and car riders on the first bell, and hold Road Runners until 10 minutes after the last bell, and send after-school kids ....I forget when....and don't forget to sent in transportation changes and pick it up in the middle of your planning, not before and not after, I'm sure there's more, and even though you're teaching, don't send in attendance before 15 minutes after school has started, but don't be more than 15 minutes late, just sometime between 8:15 and 8:30. And sent the kid down to the lunch room to make a lunch choice if they are late even if it means they miss more class because our secretary doesn't have time to call down there and add a lunch to someone's classroom.

And it's bus driver appreciation week so have your kids make cards. But don't do anything that isn't standards-based.

13. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Oct 27, 2009

I think you just said it all shouldbeasleep. Wonderful work!

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2009

And don't forget to teach all day, every day, except for the 3 weeks every quarter that you have to do standardized test practice to see how your students may do on the actual standardized test.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 27, 2009

If I have to hear one more time "I did it when I was in the classroom, so can you", I may scream!

Really? 20 years ago, when you taught that one year? That's how things were, huh?

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2009

In the Air Force, every squadron commander, wing commander, and base commander must climb into an airplane and log at least 4 hours a month.

Squadron commanders (organizationally equivalent to principals) were on the flying schedule as much as any other pilots. I flew with them all the time.