Literature Circle

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by katie94, Mar 1, 2008.

1. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Mar 1, 2008

I love Lit Circles! They're so fun! I did them when I was in school, and I would love to do it with my students too!

I wanna do it in groups of 5, so there will be roughly around 5 to 6 groups, maybe 4! Any books you guys recommend?

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2008

The classic that seemed to start it all: Literature Circles: Voice and Choice in the Student Centered Classroom by Harvey Daniels. Also, Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles by Harvey Daniels.

I find the mini-lesson book to be particularly useful with my seventh graders.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2008

Books about to conduct lit. groups, or reading books for your groups?? Anenberg Media online has some online streaming video for teachers conducting lit. groups (I was just watching it this a.m.).

5. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Mar 14, 2008

Books for the students to read in their groups! Sorry, I should've specified that earlier! :blush:

6. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Mar 23, 2008

I just finished my third quarter lit circles with the following books:

Crispin
    Walk Two Moons
    A Wrinkle in Time
    Where the Red Fern Grows
    The Cay
    Witch of Blackbird Pond
    Messenger (We read Giver as a class)
    Phantom Tollbooth

Now, there is no real reason to put these books together in one room - there is no true common theme. The final project was to create a play using one-two scenes from the book that explained what the theme of the book was about. Some of them were amazing, others, no so much.

I have a class of 32, so there were 8 books and 4 people in a group. I already have everything (handouts, quizzes, etc.) set up, so let me know if you are thinking of using any of these books.

The next time I do this, I want to have more of a common theme with each of the books. (The books I was thinking of using were written on a calendar that was drenched with Vitamin Water by a parent.) I'm thinking of using the theme of differences. We'll see though if I get to it or not...

7. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Mar 24, 2008

What an amazing project you have there. I may have to look at that once TAKS is over here in Texas next month. I am a little unclear, but is the reading done in class or outside, then they meet to discuss??

8. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

Usually it's read outside of class, but if they finish their work early they can read it in class. The groups meet once a week (for 3 weeks), and discuss the book for about 15 minutes. Then there's some sort of project at the end.

But that's just how my grade 8 class did it ... you can do it anyway you want!

9. RainbowsEnd

RainbowsEnd Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

I've been wanting to do something like this since the start of the year, and I'm glad to see a HOW TO paragraph here. I teach grade 8 as well, so it's good to know :-D

10. adstx

adstx New Member

Mar 25, 2008

I teach 9th grade ELA/ESL and we are doing book clubs that will lead to multi-genre research assignments (a newspaper or something similar) based on the issues the books cover.

Our books are based on the theme of teen problems. They are:
    Hanging on to Max (teen father)
    Breaking Through (migrant workers, Language learning)
    Define Normal (friends and family problems)
    We Beat the Street (setting goals, overcoming obstacles)
    Monster (crime)
    Go Ask Alice (drugs)

Some of these are kind of heavy and might not be appropriate for more conservative areas.

I would stick to four or so books at most. This has been too many! Good luck!

11. RainbowsEnd

RainbowsEnd Rookie

Mar 26, 2008

I am just finishing some multigenre research presentations . . . it's had some kinks, but if you'd like the project assignment I have let me know and I'll share. I did mine on WW II/The Holocaust.

12. msb

msb Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

Hi, I like the ideas on here about Lit Circles. I've been wanting to try it with 7th and 8th graders, but I haven't had the time yet. It might be a good idea for the last quarter after the standards test for us.

Is once a week a good amount of time? I noticed in some of the excerpts of lit circle books that they recommend more than twice a week.

I love all the book ideas by the way. My 7th grade just finished The Outsiders, and 8th graders completed The Giver. I think Messenger would be a good book option, too.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

13. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

That's a really good theme! I also recommend "Egghead" by Caroline Pignant ... it's a story about bullying in the eyes of the victim, a girl who stands up for the victim (but also gets teased while doing so), and a bully/bystander!

14. AF Mom

AF Mom Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

katrinkit, I would love to have some help with some of the same books. I use The Cay, Witch of Blackbird Pond, A Wrinkle in Time, and Walk Two Moons. I also like Gary Paulson books, Hatchet, The river, Brian's Winter, and Harris and Me. The last one is debatable as to being appropriate for school. Does anyone use The Westing Game, Freak the Mighty, or A Day No Pigs Would Die?

15. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2008

The books I have used for Lit Circles:
    Theme - Fitting in: The Misfits, Four Miles to Pinecone, Stargirl, Freak the Mighty
    Ann Rinaldi Author Study: A Break With Charity, An Acquaintance With Darkness, Chasing Liberty, ...Or Give Me Death

I've also done lit circles where the whole class is reading the same books but have their discussions in small groups. My lit circles generally meet twice a week.