literature circle/reading group activities

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by noreenk, Jul 26, 2007.

1. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

After spending all summer addicted to this discussion board, I have carefully chosen several novels to use in my guided reading groups the first several months of school. I've used several recommended links (and Google, of course) to find discussion guides and online resources, but what I'd REALLY like is to hear what some of you may have done with these books. Here's what I've got so far:

A. Clements, Frindle (my first week read aloud... and today i found it in Spanish!)
    J. Alvarez, When Tia Lola Came to XVisitX Stay
    B. Coville, My Teacher is an Alien
    E.L. Konigsburg, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
    L. Sachar, There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom
    E. Schlosser, Chew on This

I've also got the Westing Game on my To Read list for next week since I know my school has a set of it. Are there any other great mysteries you've done that would be good for our brief unit on mysteries in September? I'd love suggestions at a variety of levels so I could try to find a different text for each group. Merci en avance!

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

Frindle is one of the stories in our Reading series this year! Think I should read the entire book aloud at some point? I wasn't sure about whether to do so or not. Random...
    I read My Teacher is and Alien as a read aloud last year and my kids absolutely LOVED it! They would would be so disappointed if we weren't able to get our reading in some days. :)
    I know that probably didn't help you, but I just thought I'd comment.

4. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

:) I've not taught any of the books I listed, so I'm glad to know that they get an enthusiastic response! Since I'm trying to align the books with our district's Reading/Writing focus areas, I'm beginning to think the chances of me finishing them all are pretty slim. Is that normal? I'll more than likely have multiple copies available in my library for students to finish on their own.

5. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

I'm not sure if it's normal to not finish them, but I always try to make sure and finish a book I start with my students. There's a chance that some will not be able to finish it on their own, so I like to finish them. *Speaking of not finishing books...My boyfriend's teacher once started a book and did not finish it and he, to this day (he turns 29 this year), cannot find it! He still wants to finish that book. Of course I think he's quite odd and funny anyways, but I still like to finish books that I start! ;)

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

I don't have a lot of experience, but I do know that Frindle is a huge hit with this age group! They love it! Then they begin trying to make up their own words for things -- it's hilarious! Since you are bilingual, you might want to check out Esperanza Rising. It is a beautiful book about a Mexican-American family. I laughed and I cried while reading it.

7. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Add Becoming Naomi Leon to that list for bilingual students. And Frindle is wonderful for this age group, as is Mixed up Files...!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 27, 2007

I found it too difficult to read aloud Esperanza Rising. If you speak Spanish well it is probably easier.

Frindle, Hatchet, My Side of the Mountain, How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found, Shiloh, Sahara Special, The Janitor's Boy .......

9. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 27, 2007

I have not taught these booksin the past, but next year I will be teaching a 5/6 combo and Frindle is one of the books I have chosen.

Here are two great sites for activities you can use with novels. I don't know if all of your novels are included or not, but they are worth a peek.

http://www.webenglishteacher.com/childlit.html

http://litplans.com/

http://www.emints.org/ethemes/search.shtml

10. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

those links are awesome! guess i'll be printing the day away... thanks!!

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

One mystery you need to read is The Mysterious Matter of I.M. Fine. My fifth graders absolutely loved it...and it is a great mystery to start off with. Other big hits in my room are the Hatchet series, A Long Way From Chicago and A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck, Bridge to Teribithia (much,much better than the movie) and anything from Judy Blume. If you are doing units, then may I suggest a unit on folk tales? Steven Kellogg illustrates several folk tales, such as Johnny Appleseed, that the kids love to read and discuss. I usually end with the students writing their own folk tale. Also, biographies-yes, biographies are a big hit with my 5th graders. Hope this helped!

12. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

Just bought the Mysterious Matter of I.M. Fine and Esperanza Rising. Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! Let's keep adding to the list as the year goes on!

13. moomoo8960

moomoo8960 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Hello Teachers,

I teach 5th grade and last school year I found a short story series of books written by Allan Zullo. They are a series of haunted stories that are suppose to be "true". The students absolutely loved them! I read a a story or part of the story almost everyday.

I was able to find each book for a penny on amazon.com. The best penny ever spent!