Literally a day of HELL at our school yesterday.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RookieTeacher16, Sep 7, 2016.

1. RookieTeacher16

RookieTeacher16 Rookie

Sep 7, 2016

So the AC at our school went out possibly this Labor Day weekend and what does the school do Tuesday....?
    Keep us in school all day...! 1K+ students plus teachers/staff all stuck inside a HOT building in the 90's.... The AC sort of came back in the late afternoon... I took my group out outside to some shade where we could find it.
    I can't believe that they would not allow early dismissal or even cancel in the first place...
    Today is seems that the school didn't have good attendance (not surprised). Now they want us to call up on parents to see what's going on....
    I felt like passing out in the hallway yesterday from breathing the hot air.. it was just cruel..!

3. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 7, 2016

Feel your sweat! We only have fans, plus I'm off to a bad start with the new principal. I introduced her as Ms Fernandez instead of Ms Hernandez. During PD, she told me I needed to be off my phone.

4. RookieTeacher16

RookieTeacher16 Rookie

Sep 7, 2016

oh wow! the principal needs to chill!

5. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 7, 2016

Gosh, that's horrible!

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2016

We don't have ac it has been in upper 80s to feel like temps in mid 90s past 2 days. It is not fun...

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 7, 2016

You think teachers should be on their phones during professional development?

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2016

No AC in the vast majority of schools here. As a fairly new school, we are lucky to have AC in the library and the office. The rest of the building, particularly the second floor, is just gross. It's like walking into a very unpleasant sauna when you walk in my classroom door. I'm shuffling up my plans a bit and saving some of my diagnostic assessments for next week when everyone's brain is working a bit better. Thankfully, next week should be much better!

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 8, 2016

I teach in Louisiana, we have individual units in our classrooms, and occasionally they go out. It is MISERABLE. I will take cold weather over hot any day. When our units go out, we pull together all the fans we can and try not to move too much. lol Our recess is at 12:30, so we've had heat indexes over 100 almost every day since school started - that's a lot of inside recess. (We started August 10.) It's supposed to be cooling off, as long as the real feel is 95 or below, we can go out. When it's hot in the room, we keep the lights off. It really doesn't seem to affect the temperature, but it just feels like it does.If your kids are able to have water bottles, encourage them to keep them filled and drink regularly. Dehydration could be an issue in those temperatures. Good luck and cool thoughts!!

teacherintexas likes this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 8, 2016

My school's climate control system is horrible. In the morning I come in and the A/C is blasting and I'm freezing. Towards the end of the day it's so hot in the classroom we have to sometimes leave the door open. Today it's going to be over 90 degrees so I'm hoping the A/C works somewhat. In the winter some days I have to wear tshirts because the heat is so high and some days I almost have to wear my coat.

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2016

I am so grateful for my AC which I have individual control over (it's not perfect, but works). My first school did not have AC. It didn't get very hot very often where I was (San Francisco), but the days when it got hot, we suffered. 8th grade boys after PE/recess in a hot, humid old building = stank!

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 8, 2016

I feel that not having AC is an unsafe working condition--mainly because the heat can cause people to become ill. It's dangerous to our health.

Here in my area of CA, it gets incredibly hot. Today is slated to be 98 degrees. As soon as anyone's AC unit goes out, the maintenance team from the district office comes out to fix it. If they cannot fix the issue the same day (say, for example, a part needs to be ordered), the class is moved to the multipurpose room or library.

ms.irene and Backroads like this.
  13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2016

Thankfully, (knock wood) I seem to have a group this year that believes in the power of a good deodorant! It's pretty oppressive in here, though. I was going to borrow a thermometer from the Science Room to see how warm it really is in here, but decided I just don't want to know.
    It's lunch time now and I'm running out to get a cold drink; the temptation to go home for a shower is strong!

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 8, 2016

How long is your lunch? We have a closed campus and cannot leave for lunch, and even if we could we only have 30 minutes so there's no way I could get home, shower, and get back to school.

15. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2016

Sometimes those smelly deodorants and body sprays are almost worse, though! Especially the ones that are really into their Axe body sprays...

16. pdbinmd

pdbinmd New Member

Sep 8, 2016

No A/C in my small private school. It was 95 today outside -- and I didn't measure how hot in my 4th floor classroom located in a large city. We took off our shoes, turned off the lights, drank cold water, and listened to a read-aloud for a while today.

And tonight is back to school night.

I think it's supposed to be a bit cooler tomorrow...

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2016

Lunch is an hour; home is 12 minutes away if I hit the lights wrong. It would be possible, but not practical :).

18. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 8, 2016

That sucks. Our district implemented a heat schedule for Tues and Wed (half days) due to some schools not having AC. But to keep it simple, all the schools got out at the same time even if they did have AC!

19. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Sep 8, 2016

Omg! I can't believe how many schools don't have AC! I honestly think that would be something I'd turn down a job for...but then again I'm in TX...so there's no way that would work.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2016

We probably have fewer than 6 or 7 days every school year when it's really bad in the classrooms. This week has been an unusual stretch; yesterday was the hottest "feels like" day of the summer so far. I saw a headline on the news tonight that our union president has spoken out about the conditions in classrooms this week. I'm sure it won't go anywhere, but the acknowledgement was nice.

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 8, 2016

We have AC but it doesn't seem to keep my room from getting unbearably muggy in the afternoon. I blame it on all the bodies in a small space, and lots of teenage perspiration.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 8, 2016

RookieTeacher16, I would have been a hot, sweaty mess if I had to go through what you did!

At my new school, my room is decent. The A/C just stays on & it gets pretty cold. Good thing I don't get cold easily.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2016

That describes all of us in the building this week--staff and students are all dripping. Hoping for some relief next week!

24. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Sep 9, 2016

This was me yesterday too. My room only has one window; most classrooms have 2-3. I have ceiling fans at least but they don't do much when it's already stifling. Honestly I think the gym was worse than my classroom.

We have uniforms and the kids are allowed to wear gym uniforms yesterday and today. I think that helped a little bit. But I know one of my students was picked up at lunch bc her mom said it was too hot, and another student missed two hours of class with a bad headache. I feel bad for these kids.

25. David DiCaprio

David DiCaprio Rookie

Jun 19, 2017

My co-teachers would tell the students to shower. This was at a low-income alternative education setting. We also asked for deodorant donations and received a lot of soap from the local community. But honestly is the best policy with hygiene.

-David DiCaprio

26. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jun 19, 2017

Hey sounds like my school. We did our end of year testing without an air conditioner. Asking children to sit through a marathon testing session trapped in a 90+ degree room was child abuse. I spent my testing time bringing kids back and spraying them with a spray bottle so I wouldn't have kids dropping from heat sicknesses.